Author Topic: Water leaking from Radiator Overflow?  (Read 3799 times)

Offline eddy

Water leaking from Radiator Overflow?
« on: July 22, 2012, 07:33:55 AM »
My 1987 has water coming out the overflow when it gets warm. Bike just purchased and was parked for years; radiator plugged up or something else, where should I start working on it?

Motorrad

Re: Water leaking from Radiator Overflow?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 10:30:54 AM »
silly question... but did you JUST top it off every time it has spewed?   they will burp a bit when they get warm (when filled to the brim) (water expanding)..   and find their happy spot..   

If not..

Look at head gasket.

Offline eddy

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 10:37:36 AM »
Not a silly question at all; the original owner who I purchased it from topped off the radiator so I could give it a test ride. WOW if that's all it is cool! i'm used to air cooled and currently have a 1974 Elsinore and Honda CR500 air cooled so not real familiar with the water pumpers. If not just overfilled how can i check the head gasket?
Thanks for your help!

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 11:18:27 AM »
Not a silly question at all; the original owner who I purchased it from topped off the radiator so I could give it a test ride. WOW if that's all it is cool! i'm used to air cooled and currently have a 1974 Elsinore and Honda CR500 air cooled so not real familiar with the water pumpers. If not just overfilled how can i check the head gasket?
Thanks for your help!

Sounds like the previous owner already KNEW it had a problem if he had to top it off so you could take it for a test ride.

As you're sitting warming it up,keep a close eye on the head nuts and studs for leakage or bubbles,and look at the cylinder and head mating surfaces for water.

Every time I've ever had coolant leaking out of an overflow,it ended up being from a poor head gasket seal....BUT from un-even cylinder to head mating surfaces...not the gasket itself.

I'm not saying you have a bad head gasket....just going with my past experiences.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ