Author Topic: Clutch problem  (Read 3416 times)

Offline RoostDaddy

Clutch problem
« on: July 16, 2012, 02:35:38 AM »
my clutch has a Hinson basket with new OEM cluch (fibers/steels/springs) and fresh oil.  Inner hub and pressure plate show very little wear.  Problem is the clutch feels grabby when you are pulling out, almost learching the bike forward.  I was thinking maybe the plates were sticking, but didnt seem to be it.  Any ideas?  Bearing, clutch arm, push rod, inner hub, pressure plate? 
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: Clutch problem
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 02:45:51 AM »
Is this the 1st time you've used steel plates?....I ask this because yes,your clutch will act kinda like a toggle switch.I used to use them in one of my 250s,and it was the same way....so I went back to the OEM aluminums.The benifits from steel are,much longer clutch life,and a little more rotating force...the down fall is a toggle switch/jumpy feel.I myself prefer to change the oil much more often,and run the OEMs,and have a much smoother feeling clutch.The aluminum OEMs will and do contaminate the oil much quicker.Hope this helps.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline don46

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 02:55:07 AM »
I have the same exact setup, Hinson basket, OEM pressure plate and hub, I also run steel plates and have not issues with it "Lurching". My first inclination would be to say warped plate, but you said they were new. Hows the cable? maybe oil?
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 04:17:43 AM »
my clutch has a Hinson basket with new OEM cluch (fibers/steels/springs) and fresh oil.  Inner hub and pressure plate show very little wear.  Problem is the clutch feels grabby when you are pulling out, almost learching the bike forward.  I was thinking maybe the plates were sticking, but didnt seem to be it.  Any ideas?  Bearing, clutch arm, push rod, inner hub, pressure plate? 

Odd, it sounds like your fiber plates are slightly "oil starved" causing the gabbiness. Maybe dissasemble the clutch pak and really slob oil on the plates ? I'm stumped on this one, maybe if you told me you upgraded to a Barnett clutch, i remember those being "grabby" but i've been using OEM for the past 25 years with perfect results.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 04:40:09 AM »
If I remember correctly,the steels I had used were Barnetts.....that could explain why I had trouble with "grabbiness"....because as soon as I went back to the aluminum OEMs,the problem was instantly gone. :?
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 09:02:26 AM »
I only run OEM clutches as they have been the best I ever used for the past 13 yrs. in this bike.  Have switched between steel and aluminum on different occasions with no bad results.  Will have to pull everything apart again to see if I can find a culprit.  Just figured I would throw this question out there in case someone has ever ran into this before. 
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.