Author Topic: Newbie on a KX500  (Read 3984 times)

Offline Rookie

Newbie on a KX500
« on: April 05, 2012, 04:10:31 PM »
Just got bought me a 96' KX 500 with really low hours some mods and a few extras for $1500.

Been riding for almost 20 years and currently am a land speed racing junkie and I do enjoy doing track days on my Hayabusa.

I do all of my own wrenching including build my own engines, I am not an expert on most things but I am willing to try anything.

This KX500 just plain puts a smile on my face whether I am riding it or just starting it up, it just has soul!

Looking forward to hanging out with you all online as it looks like a pretty cool forum.

Rookie

Offline ninja

Re: Newbie on a KX500
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 07:57:56 PM »

Howdy,  nice deal there!   I got this conventional forked new in '89 model that I added an overflow tank between the triple clamps for hillclimbs & sand.   

My monster "Other" open classer XR650R out to 680

LABusas org

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 04:02:42 AM »
Welcome! I was down at El Mirage a few times, and topped out my rental car while I was there. Fun stuff! Spiritual when you are standing in the middle looking all directions, or hearing the howl of topped out engines straining for another mile an hour. Great deal on your bike!
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...

Offline Rookie

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 05:37:08 AM »
Welcome! I was down at El Mirage a few times, and topped out my rental car while I was there. Fun stuff! Spiritual when you are standing in the middle looking all directions, or hearing the howl of topped out engines straining for another mile an hour. Great deal on your bike!

El Mirage is something else, I raced there for 3 seasons before I quit my job and moved to Nevada.

Another cool place to race is at the Mojave Mile in Mojave, Ca where the space shuttle lands. The runway is amazing, but a mile goes by quick when you are riding a Hayabusa.

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 11:08:24 AM »
Goes by slow driving a rental car! Looked it up first and it said it had a speed limiter at 120. It bumped it then stayed steady at 118. No one else around (mid week) so no worries about hitting anyone. still fun! Made me want to try it again with something faster...
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...

Offline Rookie

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 05:37:36 PM »
Goes by slow driving a rental car! Looked it up first and it said it had a speed limiter at 120. It bumped it then stayed steady at 118. No one else around (mid week) so no worries about hitting anyone. still fun! Made me want to try it again with something faster...

I am sure a KX500 would be fun out there :-D

Offline ramblnman

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 11:27:20 AM »
nice clean bike!

Offline awak100

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 01:16:26 PM »
not sure who the guy is that put an over flow tank on the front forks for weight.  My thought is you ever heard of a clutch.  When I climb hills I run the hell out of the clutch full throttle.

Offline ninja

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 09:17:29 AM »

... '89 model that I added an overflow tank between the triple clamps for hillclimbs & sand.   

LABusas org

The hillclimbs are at Glamis & Death Valley, where the ground speed is slower & the heat excessive during looong rides - not racing