Author Topic: rubber engine mountings  (Read 3589 times)

Offline Podium Werx

rubber engine mountings
« on: March 26, 2012, 08:03:54 AM »
Just finished making my own frame rails also made larger lower engine which i used rubber bushes simler to van shackel bushes there about 70mm long so i could make 3 out of one bush the moment of truth will it work started the engine to find very little vibation will post some pics shortly

Offline jBernard

Re: rubber engine mountings
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 11:48:51 AM »

pics would be great, curious to how you have them mounted in the rails.
speaking of the rails, did you do the bends yourself? im about to do mine and are worried about the thin wall kinking on the ID of the bend and being structurally weaker/cosmetically not as nice.
let me know what you did on those.
thanks
'09 KX500AF - never ending project
'14 KTM 300SX

Offline stevea100m

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 10:33:41 AM »
JBernard I did my rails myself with a manual round tube bender and a map gas torch. Use the die that barely fits over the tube and use some heat not a ton as aluminum will melt obviously.

Offline jBernard

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 10:40:16 AM »
thanks for the tips steve.
saw a guy bending square tube online and he had some good ideas... i'll post the link if i can find it, but he made a radius template out of 3/4" mdf and clamped it to a work table. filled his tube with sand, sealed the ends, then clamped on end of the tube touching the mdf and table, put a cheater bar on the other, and bent it around the template. looked like a great idea since the tube is supported on 2 sides and youre bending around a template.
did you do a compound bend on yours? first bend where they toe in under the skid plate then the obvious bend upwards, or did you just go straight from undercarriage to yoke?
thanks again.
taylor
'09 KX500AF - never ending project
'14 KTM 300SX

Offline stevea100m

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 06:12:47 AM »
I just went straight on and had no issues what so ever. Unless you knew about the toe in and you looked at the frame intently for a few minutes you would see that the rails arent perfectly straight but with the engine in the cradle no one has noticed it yet.

Offline Podium Werx

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 06:37:18 AM »
I think steve must have been looking over my shoulder that was exactly the way i made my frame rails, i have know made  a former to make the rails as i have 3 more frames to convert will post pics shortley