Author Topic: Street legal?  (Read 4907 times)

Offline Marco810

Street legal?
« on: May 01, 2012, 02:10:28 AM »
I'm thinking about buying a wr250 with papers and putting a k5 engine in it. Would the engine swap make it illegal?. I live in BC and have searched but couldnt find anything related

On a side note has anyone here ever riden a AF wr250, how do they handle?

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: Street legal?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 04:02:58 AM »
What I always tell people who want to do this is go down to your local Department of Motor Vehicles and ask them.
Be sure to get their name and any documentation they can provide you.
If your Department of Motor Vehicles does not do the inspection then go to whatever agency does the inspection and ask them.
That is the safe way.
Then again if the bike is already street legal you could just go for it and see what happens  :lol:
I'll bet that if you set the bike up correctly it would handle great.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline trim

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 12:38:48 PM »
I always ask for forgiveness rather than permission :evil:

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 03:54:24 AM »
I always ask for forgiveness rather than permission :evil:

Yeah, I always find that when I learn something after I think I know it all, then it really counts  :wink:
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 05:16:29 AM »
If there is no emissions test I would say go for it, for sure if it's all ready tagged. 
In Oklahoma we don't have vehicle inspections.
When you convert a dirt bike to a street legal bike all they inspect is the odometer reading.
If you don't fully look street legal you will get stopped by law enforcement and ticketed.
Here they would not know if it was the original engine.  Engine number is not listed on the title.
KX 500 Rider

Offline cobbs

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 04:14:34 PM »
just do it, I have a titled k5 and I'm fabbing up another frame that I'm going use the same vin#s on and I'm going to use gt750(triple 2 stroke) in that frame and just swap the the plate from back and fourth they will never know the difference

Offline SS109

• KDX fanatic!
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 05:18:29 PM »
Wow, Cobbs, that is highly illegal. I know the odds of being being busted are slim and all but the consequences if they get you are just too high IMO. Do what you wish though!
'90 KDX 200 (rebuild - DONE!) - '94 KDX 250 (soon to be a KDX250af)

Offline jgturbo

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 06:23:16 PM »
One chunk of aluminum being bolted to a different chunk of steel with certain numbers and letters stamped into it. It would drive bureaucrats nuts if they knew, but outside of that, who really cares?

Go for it.

Offline blinkerfluid

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 04:59:20 AM »
Why would anyone care? Your local DMV just sees it as a stock WR250 street legal factory bike..
It's no diffrent then someone taking an s10 and putting a v8 in it.. no one cares except states with inspections

the only thing that matters is if its street legal titled or not.

in my state if it was titled as a dirtbike ORV your screwed period.. no chance of making it street legal (without titling it as street legal in state that you can, then bring it back to my state to register as street legal)

I've heard of people with multiple trailers just getting 1 plate and swapping plates between trailers.. because really.. who will know the diffrence on small trailers?

Offline SS109

• KDX fanatic!
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 01:54:50 AM »
I know here in AZ it isn't uncommon for police to check the VIN number to the paperwork. There are too many stolen vehicles, including dirt bikes and trailers, that you should be prepared for it here especially from Game & Fish officers.
'90 KDX 200 (rebuild - DONE!) - '94 KDX 250 (soon to be a KDX250af)