Author Topic: 01-07 kx5 conversion  (Read 3214 times)

Offline kawrider187

01-07 kx5 conversion
« on: November 27, 2011, 12:26:58 PM »
Finally starting my kx5 conversion this week! aquired an 07 450 chassis and sadly tore down my 01 kx500 I bought brand new. new chassis & 500 motor went to fabricator saturday, should start on it with him tuesday night. Got a set of rails form jerry @ jfab, look great! bought a new fmf gnarly system for the cr500 & will modify when we get to that point. once we get the motor mounted, I will track down a set of SH radiator hoses & an intake boot. Thanks to all who posted their builds on here, you guys gave me the insperation to do this!! I'll keep you posted as I go, & will get a few pics up here soon!

Offline azracer19

Re: 01-07 kx5 conversion
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 07:04:44 AM »
good luck with the build, I went the other way bought everything first , the frame and suspension has all new bearings, new ohlins suspension, new wheels EVERYTHING, cant find the frame rails.... Thinking of selling the 500 engine and putting in the 450 f

Offline kawrider187

Re: 01-07 kx5 conversion
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 02:01:37 PM »
been a while since I updated my progress, engine cases are bored, frame has been cut apart. today we fitted the jfab rails onto the frame, and are now tacked in place!!, engine fits great, will start working on motor mount fabrication next.  Can't wait to ride this thing!! Wont be too long before we start mocking up the exhaust, any tips on exhaust fabrication anyone??  brand new fmf gnarly for a cr500, p/c kx500 pipe to cut my exhaust flange from. will work on getting pics up in the next day or so.