Author Topic: this ring end gap is insane  (Read 1667 times)

Offline bige

this ring end gap is insane
« on: December 21, 2011, 01:47:10 PM »
just got my cyl. back from u s chrome to get replated, checked ring end gap by pushing ring in with piston at 1 inch in and couldnt believe what i saw huge gap used feeler gauges and measured a crazy 69 thousands. weisco says to use a min of .004 for every inch of bore, my cyl is about 3.5 inches so ring gap should be .014. the piston is stamped with the correct 86mm to match the 86mm cyl bore. why do i have so much end gap? im going to call weisco and ask them. i want to get bike back together but need this isssue resolved first.

Offline jonny500

Re: this ring end gap is insane
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 03:15:05 AM »
are using a brand new ring. if so motorad has had some quality issues with wesico piston kits but nothing like that. i would be amazed if it would even run with a gap that big.

Motorrad

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 03:48:06 AM »
Not saying you are...  But had to go help a buddy put the top end back on his YZ over the weekend..(bit off more than he could chew)  He told me the same thing over the phone..
Turned out he wasn't measuring the ring gap... But the gap of where the rings step down for the pin...    Wrong gap to measure..

Double check...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 03:57:20 AM by Motorrad »

Offline bige

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 10:24:48 AM »
well this is the first time i have ever had a ring issue, the gap is .069 tip to tip with a new ring and a replated cyl from u s chrome. i measured the old ring and it was at .014 which is correct. i called weisco and gave them the manufactured code to check their supplier for a bad production run, i ordered another ring from a different supplier and hopefully this ring will be right. havnt rode bike in over a month now and it stinks, i have the need for speed.