Author Topic: A different kind of radiator question/discussion  (Read 4379 times)

Offline SS109

• KDX fanatic!
A different kind of radiator question/discussion
« on: November 25, 2011, 03:48:41 PM »
OK, can someone answer me this...

Why use the KX250F/450F radiators in the first place? Why not use the original KX500 (or whatever donor engine) instead? Is there a significant cooling advantage that I'm not seeing or what?

Look at this diagram I pulled from Benny's build manual...

In my opinion, the factory KX500 routing should be more efficient than the "F" routing as it forces coolant to travel through both radiators. The lower right radiator feeds the water pump then the lower left radiator is fed the hot coolant. From there it has to travel upward through the left radiator, out the balance/transfer hose at the top to the right radiator, then down through the right radiator until it feeds the water pump again. That uses every bit of cooling area provided by both radiators.

Now, notice how the "F" cooling system routes the radiators. Both radiators feed the pump and they both receive the hot coolant from the engine simultaneously and, in theory, should be equal between the two. However, that isn't how things always work in the real world. We all know that all forces (electricity, water, ect.) will take the path of least resistance. I would be willing to bet one radiator does most of the cooling thereby not getting the maximum efficiency from each radiator. The only thing I can see as an advantage to the "F" type routing is if you are low on coolant. If you have at least some coolant in the system then it will be most likely fed back to the engine. Maybe that is needed on a 4T but we are talking about installing 2T engines here.

I know, I'm probably way over thinking it but it just seems logical that the KX500's system of forcing the coolant through both radiators would be superior. I'm sure it probably isn't a big deal either way but with all the headaches associated with modifying the "F" radiators it might be the better option! Thoughts?
'90 KDX 200 (rebuild - DONE!) - '94 KDX 250 (soon to be a KDX250af)

Motorrad

Re: A different kind of radiator question/discussion
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 04:21:41 PM »
Sitting around a camp fire in the Desert right now pondering solutions to my cooling woes...   Will discuss when back in town in a few days..    Been here Rodin my K5 for 8days so far.. Heaven...

Offline DeadRinger

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 04:46:19 PM »
bet its coold there what desert u in?
This box should be one line.

Offline Dutch-K5 Fan

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 03:52:53 AM »
Mine opinion is that the Kx500 routing is better(that's wy I did it that way).
On the other hand the F routing is newer, and should be better.
Only "probleme" what I have with my radiatorguards, I had to make a alu bracket (like works connection make).
And from there a mounting point for the lower bolts, because mine ratiators don't line up with the radiators.
Mostly the F radiators come with the donor bike.

Dutchie
Proud owner of a KX500AF

Offline SS109

• KDX fanatic!
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 04:11:46 AM »
I have always felt that just because something is newer doesn't necessarily mean better!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 04:14:11 AM by SS109 »
'90 KDX 200 (rebuild - DONE!) - '94 KDX 250 (soon to be a KDX250af)

Offline stevea100m

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 05:05:31 AM »
I used the 03 kx250 radiators on mine. All i did was utilize the top mount hole and moved the lower mounts up. you do have to modify the tanks a little bit but they maintain the stock routing.

Offline kxpegger

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 10:59:56 AM »
The AF design should keep the engine a little cooler in my opinion. The AF design will maintain balance through both radiators based on pressure at the top of the tanks even if you're a little low on coolant.The old 500 routing if coolant was allowed to drop to low could cause some intermittent cooling as there would be a delay of the left tank filling and then the coolant transitioning to the right tank. I ride Nevada desert and have never had a cooling problem on my SH AF which uses the altered routing. My buddies old steel frame 500 when temps get hot here rountinely pukes coolant and after he drained his Camel-Bak on one ride I had to start giving him water out of mine to make it back to the truck. This is not proof either way but I was thirsty before we got back to the trucks! As far as I know his cooling system was in good repair and just ran hotter than mine.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 02:16:30 AM by kxpegger »
North Las Vegas

"05" RMZ450, "08" KX500AF "11" KTM 450SX-F "12" KTM 250SX "15" KTM450SX-F

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 12:18:20 PM »
I did the original kx500 routing on my first af & I will do it the same on the second. I do alot of low speed hill climbing that will really make a bike puke, 1st & second tapped hill after hill without alot of airflow, & with the original routing it worked flawless. Better than the 250 donor bike I could get puking quick & the cr500 that would puke every once in awhile. My 2 cents
if I only had a pair, I could actually ride this thing

& to the people I like  FYYFF