Author Topic: KX500 - Wiring  (Read 2193 times)

Offline jim_cliff11

KX500 - Wiring
« on: December 10, 2011, 09:54:24 AM »
Hi all,

Long time since I have posted on this forum but I am in dyer need of electrical help.
I have a KX500 which has been fully rebuilt but I am struggling with the electrics.

I have the stator fitted with wiring running to the CDI and coil, however I'm not getting a spark when kicking the engine over. As far as I know the wiring is right, all colours match up as they should. I do have black wire coming out of the CDI which is not hooked up. Does anyone know what this is? Kill switch?

If anyone has a wiring diagram it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

Offline alward25

Re: KX500 - Wiring
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 02:10:46 PM »
Is your ground for your coil clean and free of gradoo???  Sometimes where you mount up your coil will have paint or powdercoating and we forget to clean it off.  It is a very simple wiring system, not too much to go wrong.
"Let there be light"

Offline NZ500

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 06:16:24 PM »
That's a good point about the earths.

Check your coil cord though. The redish color cord coming out of it should go to the black cord coming out of cdi

I've just been working on mine and have the motor out. Here is what I have:
3 cords to stator:
Black with white stripe
Black with yellow stripe
White with red stripe

Completely black cord to coil

Other black cord with white stripe goes to kill switch. Other cord coming off kill switch is black only and connects under the CDI mounting bolt (above the plastic)

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 02:24:01 AM »
Hi all,

Long time since I have posted on this forum but I am in dyer need of electrical help.
I have a KX500 which has been fully rebuilt but I am struggling with the electrics.

I have the stator fitted with wiring running to the CDI and coil, however I'm not getting a spark when kicking the engine over. As far as I know the wiring is right, all colours match up as they should. I do have black wire coming out of the CDI which is not hooked up. Does anyone know what this is? Kill switch?

If anyone has a wiring diagram it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

CDI :   BK = external coil,    W/R = from mag pickup coil  , BK/Y = from mag   , BK/W = from Mag ( ground) ,  BK/W = to kill sw.   
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline jim_cliff11

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 05:38:27 AM »
Checked continuity through the frame between the coil earth and earth on the stator, this is all good.

I had the black / white wire running to the coil from the CDI and not the black. After changing this round I'm still not getting a spark.

Does anyone know how to check the CDI, stator and coil for resistances with a multimeter?
Even better does anyone have these three electical components for a 96 engine which they would like to sell me lol?

Appreciate all the help above guys,

Cheers,
Jim