Author Topic: New Guy With New to me 00' KX500  (Read 6419 times)

Rocky

New Guy With New to me 00' KX500
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2004, 10:51:33 PM »
Thanks for the info, you mentioned gearing what is a good gearing start point, right now i have 14-47. As far as suspension goes do you mean proper adjustment of the bike or changing parts, I,m 6'1 270 Lbs.

Thnx

mikesmith

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2004, 07:58:25 AM »
Try 14x49,alot of people seem to like that gearing for the type of rideing your talking about,if you buy a new chain with your sprockets go to an o-ring chain(but dont run a smaller countershaft  sprocket than 14 tooth with an o-ring or itll wear on your cases),I run lower gearing my self,but I ride a lot of single track and in the Mtns with killer hill climbs.270,your a big guy!Weigh yourself with ALL the rideing gear you ride with and go to Race tech's web site and they have a chart for the springs you need for the type and abillity of how you ride,then search this site for setting up your suspension (Rick has some veary good post),then you could go for a revalve later.Or if you got the $$ now go to ACME or Pro-Circuit and have them set it up for you!Most all your questions you have youll find here with a little digging,or just ask away!

Rocky

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2004, 07:29:19 AM »
Thanks,I'll take it to Pro circuit since there just right down the street

mikesmith

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2004, 09:43:59 PM »
If you live close by,that would be the best move.That way they can help you dial it in.

kawdude

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2004, 01:40:01 PM »
Welcome.  The KX is awesome and it sounds like the deal you got is too!

Rocky

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2004, 04:45:50 PM »
The Kx runs great but call me a nut, but i still want more power. So i figure a pipe from PC will add some,it is such a blast to ride

mikesmith

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2004, 07:16:55 PM »
To tell you the truth I think the PC pipe mellows it some,not as hard a hit.

Rocky

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2004, 01:03:15 PM »
what pipe gives it more power? I called PC and to get the cylinder ported and polished is 350 bones. They told me that a pipe and polish job would get me about 10 to 15 percent horsepower increase but it would cost almost 600 bucks I don't know if thats the right way to go

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2004, 07:17:00 PM »
Rocky,
You can do a lot by yourself and save the money. :wink:

Polish and match the cylinder to case,polish away any "flaws" at intake,transfer and exhaust.
Raise the cylinder with a thicker gasket and put a thinner headgasket to get more aggressive porttimes and still keep the compressionratio at right level.See if you can get close to 1,3-1,5mm squishclearance,saving unburned fuel.Many squishclearances from stock is about 2,0-2,5mm ,you lose 6% in midrange power with that.
Be sure not too low the headvolume to much,depends what fuel(oktan) you use!
Shims KIPS if you raise the cylinder, so you don?t got a "rattle snake" and the KIPS hanging down and don?t open full stroke.
PC-pipe need higher porttimes to work well.(a good pipe if you know that)
First should you by V-force, though! 8)
Can you send me the money?my account is....... :D  :D  :D

//doordie
Iceroad champion 2006,still 2007,even 2008 without a single race!

mikesmith

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2004, 06:57:49 PM »
You may want to try a FMF Fatty,I dont think the stock pipe is that bad but I run a PC mx pipe(seems to smooth it out a little).I have cleaned up the porting my self and theres a few other things Ive done in some of my old post,but I think jetting is the best time spent on the 500.Start with one thing at a time so you can see how the bike reacts to each modification you do.