Author Topic: kick starter  (Read 6975 times)

Offline littlewing78

kick starter
« on: November 19, 2011, 05:31:56 PM »
I broke my second kick starter last weekend.  I didn't want to pay $100 for a new one right now so I decided to make one.
I bought a long socket wrench for 10 bucks and used a socket that I already had. 16 mm socket is about the perfect size. The wrench handle is very tough so I don't think it will bend too easily. Not quite finished yet but I think its going to work fine for a bit.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: kick starter
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 12:43:32 AM »
not bad....my only concern is,did you have to heat the wrench/metal up to bend and form it into shape?.....I'm not 100% sure,but that may have weakened the metal substantially....good luck,and use alot of care on those first initial kicks.
I know if it were me,I'd dish out the money for a new one,and keep the home-made one for emergency use only.....just my thoughts.
Foxx
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 12:45:26 AM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Magnus

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 02:48:20 AM »
I made one of a socket wrench when I was waiting for a new one, seemed rock solid, but after about 20 starts it bended.. I think you may have to harden the steel some way to make it last.
looks good though, Im sure it will last longer then mine :-D

Offline littlewing78

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 03:07:00 AM »
I did have to heat it up to bend it.  I knew it would weaken it.  This is just a temporary fix until I get another one. Why waste an opportunity to make something though.  I enjoy it.

Offline crazyolbastard

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 04:38:52 AM »
I may not know much, but this I do know.

Heat it in the oven to about 400 and let it cool on its own.
Just let it sit in there a while then turn it off and come back in an hour or two.

It should help.
Crazy Ol Bastard

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 03:35:01 AM »
I broke my second kick starter last weekend.  I didn't want to pay $100 for a new one right now so I decided to make one.
I bought a long socket wrench for 10 bucks and used a socket that I already had. 16 mm socket is about the perfect size. The wrench handle is very tough so I don't think it will bend too easily. Not quite finished yet but I think its going to work fine for a bit.

I admire your efforts, but there is NO way I would trust a "home made" fabricated  kick lever for a KX500. When you weld and or heat metal you drastically change the metal's compasition. Spending $100 on a new kick lever is hard to justify, but ask yourself how much your right ankle  worth ?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 11:25:37 PM by Polar-Bus »
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 04:15:10 AM »

I admire your efforts, but there is NO way I would trust a "home made" fabricated  kick lever for a KX500. When you weld and or heat metal you drastically change the metal's compasition. Spending $100 on a new kick lever is hard to justify, but ask yourself how much your right is worth ?

+1, Great effort but how much would it cost IF it snapped in medical bills.....time missed from work.....& the most important, another reason for the little lady to complain about "Those DA_N Bikes"
Just my $.02
DoldGuy
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline littlewing78

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 11:19:47 AM »
I am going to buy another kick starter.  This is just to get me by in the mean time.  I have already snapped two levers so I am kind of used to that.  I wouldn't even think of kicking it over without a boot on.  I still have scars on my shin from when I first got the bike.  I will try and temper the steel when I am done.

Offline 1989kawasaki

• my 89 cr250
    • youtube
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 03:23:21 PM »
something like that would be OK if you had something like a kx60 or one of those little h**da Z50s
but NOT a kx500 . for obvious reasons
bikes

1977 RD400
1989 CR250
1988 CR500
1978 Z50
2009 Harley super glide custom

Offline jswatland

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 01:00:56 AM »
Maybe there is something wrong with your motor that you keep breaking kick starters? I'm not very knowledgeable with these but i'd probably try to retard the timing a touch. I'm sure some smarter guys could point you in the right direction. I just have a hard time believing that you had two defective kickers.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 01:19:44 AM »
Maybe there is something wrong with your motor that you keep breaking kick starters? I'm not very knowledgeable with these but i'd probably try to retard the timing a touch. I'm sure some smarter guys could point you in the right direction. I just have a hard time believing that you had two defective kickers.
If you stall it out,and then try to start it in gear,it really puts ALOT more strain on the kicker.....always try to put it in neutral first....that's if your kickers are breaking while you're trying to start it in gear.

Foxx
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline weymouth399

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 01:20:29 AM »
If you try to start a K5 like a 125 (because you don't know the trick/secrect to starting it) you probably would go thru kick starters. (not saying you don't know how to start it)
But I have never had a KX, any kx (250s or 500s) that didn't want the stroke just past TDC, from the very top. Also I try real hard not to bottom the kicker out on the footpeg/mount this is where most damage happens. Never try in gear either unless racing kick it once if it doesn't fire find neutral and kick it again.
After 22years of riding/racing Kxs this is what I found out, I hope it helps some out there.

The comp release mod will help alot with kick starter problems also. My spare K5 has had the mod done to it, I was amazed how easy it is to start now.

Bob W

93 KX500 ice bike for sale
00 KX 500 ice/dirt
04 KDX220 dirt
04 Kx 500 ice bike
08 KLX 450 on/off
72CT90x2 for sale
76LB80Chappy
86FJ1200
89FJ1200

Offline littlewing78

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 01:54:46 AM »
I usually do start in neutral.  Both starters that I broke were pretty old.  One was from 99 and the other was from 92.  The last one broke on cold morning. Right before a race of course.  I can usually get it started in no more than 4 kicks.  When its warmed up one kick usually does it.  I think bottoming out is part of my problem.  Thanks.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 02:02:10 AM »
you need an updated kicker!!....one on the left is the new beefier kicker.Part# is 13064-1201....I got mine from MidWestActionCycle.com   a little cheaper than your Kawie dealer and IT IS a Kawie kicker.

Foxx
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 02:10:37 AM by Foxx4Beaver »

Offline littlewing78

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 03:06:34 PM »
A local guy is parting out an 87 KX 500.  Any body know if that kick starter will fit my 99 KX 500?