Author Topic: K5 starting questions  (Read 13530 times)

Offline Polar-Bus

Re: K5 starting questions
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2011, 04:08:08 AM »
Here's the verdict. I tried cranking it again last night with no luck so I decided it was time to actually do more then just look at the bike waiting on it to tell me what was wrong with itself. Rand compression test came back with 90 psi. I toilet the head off and it was pretty gummed up. Went to take exhaust off noticed gas running from around the exhaust and down the front of the motor. Took the cylinder off no scratches or scars on the sleeve but rings seized to piston. Motor is pretty gummed up so I'm going to clean it up real good new gaskets rings ect. The piston is a wiseco 86mm I think? What ever stock mm is ran the serial number its made for 88-up k5s mine is an 86 I'm sure its not a problem but there is a lot of play from side to side. Like from inside of piston it has a gap on each side to the crank. Can slide it a good bit from left to right.

Hate to tell ya' but I told ya so..... sounds like you are one of the luckier ones... you might get off with just a new top end.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline tcoop474

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2011, 07:33:40 AM »
I fig it was by how easy it was to kick but just was hoping it wasn't wanted to ride a little longer lol
86 k5 Pro Circuit Exhaust, bored .30 over all i know about it,
(restoration)
89 trx250r bored 68mm, Lrd exhaust, boyesen reeds, nacs graphics, k&n filter and more, currently under going complete rebuild.
87 trx250r bare frame (restoration)

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2011, 05:19:46 PM »
Well,
 At least you will Know what you have Coop.  There's a thread that I think D'old Guy started thats asks the best mod for the K-5...there are more than just a few blokes who will agree.
   A good refreshing will do wonders for the old girl!  I think you are gonna be in for a pleasant surprise once you get her lit off after the re-build.   
  I think you are doing the right thing, and with any luck she'll be ready by spring!
  Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline tcoop474

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2011, 03:20:11 AM »
Hopefully but its not my only bike. I'm still building my 89 trx 250r as well but they should both be done soon. Still trying to fig out what all I wanna do to the k5 ill finish taking it to bare frame today probably
(restoration)
89 trx250r bored 68mm, Lrd exhaust, boyesen reeds, nacs graphics, k&n filter and more, currently under going complete rebuild.

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2011, 07:36:22 AM »
do the bottom end as well.if you don't you'll wish you had.K.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline awak100

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2012, 04:26:10 PM »
turn fuel on, lean bike over until fuel runs out of carb overflow line.  crank bike over 2 easy kicks then kick the s**t out of it      why?  when you 2 easy kick it, your pushing fums of gas into the cylinder.  It will start.  Maybe drop slow jet 1 size

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2012, 02:12:28 PM »
turn fuel on, lean bike over until fuel runs out of carb overflow line.  crank bike over 2 easy kicks then kick the s**t out of it      why?  when you 2 easy kick it, your pushing fums of gas into the cylinder.  It will start.  Maybe drop slow jet 1 size

X2 on the TIP method, had an old guy that did cold start hare scrambles show me & it really helps. Just down on its side & right back up
if I only had a pair, I could actually ride this thing

& to the people I like  FYYFF

Offline awak100

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2012, 04:34:29 PM »
Let me see if the float bowl isnt stuck wide open, how does fuel get into the chamber,  in other words if floats close when carb is full, no gas goes anywhere

Offline Hillbilly

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2012, 08:38:12 PM »
  1- compression release 2- soak your Carb over night make sure its clean 3- new NGK#8 Iridum plug 4-Blue-TT-111 octange gas  5-Saber pre mix 2 cycle oil. My mix is 70:1 my 500 starts first kick ever time.My plug the color is good it dosent slobber like before and i dont have all the smoke.But i do miss the castrol smell.Ran this way the last 7 months and everthing good.

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2012, 01:47:21 AM »
When you shut off the fuel to park the bike & let it sit for a few days the fuel likes to evaporate from the bowl so the carb is dry. I you just turn back on the fuel to restart the bike it kind of pressure locks for a bit & takes some violent /more kicks/ shaking to get the fuel down in the bowl. Where if you tip it to the side it relieves the prussure & will take less kicks to start cause the bowl is already primed.
This is if I understand what you were questioning  awak100
if I only had a pair, I could actually ride this thing

& to the people I like  FYYFF

Offline tcoop474

« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2012, 09:25:07 AM »
Wow talk about bringing a thread back from the dead lol. Since this thread was last updated ive rebuilt the top end and did a bunch of other cleaning up on it. But still the same thing.
I CANNOT CRANK THIS BEAST. I simply dont have the ass i had a crf450r i could crank 1-2 kicks after sitting for a month but this thing hell no i can put both feet on the kicker and jump on it with no success.
I do know for a fact its just me cause i have some friends that way more then i do that can get it to fire fairly easy once the stop being scared.
What can i say im all of 5"9 120lbs aint much i can do. Ill be taking the head off tonight to send to jfab for compression release.
(restoration)

Offline jswatland

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2012, 06:20:01 AM »
5'9" and 120? You must look like a male version of olive oyl, lol

Offline tcoop474

« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2012, 07:13:07 AM »
Lmao nah just skinny. Im 5"7 not 9 typo just dont gain weight
(restoration)

Offline jswatland

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2012, 03:54:41 PM »
Well be glad. Right now i'm 5'10" about 210 and its hard to keep the weight off. If i eat like i did 5 years ago i gain like crazy. I'm just about 28 years old, forgot to mention that.

Offline tcoop474

« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2012, 02:27:22 AM »
Lol yea its all gonna catch up to me one day. Im 21 so still got a d**n good metabolism lol.  I work construction so that helps keep the weight off also.
I got my dream job so to speak the other day. Be working on quads and bikes everyday and get certified so itll be sweet
(restoration)