Author Topic: wish people would be more honest  (Read 10086 times)

Offline 91kawifive00

wish people would be more honest
« on: November 06, 2011, 02:45:11 AM »
so i was surfing craigslist and came across a 99 kx250 rolling chassis.. well atleast thats what the guy said. so long story short i was able to take it for 150.00 got it home and ran the vin# turns out its a 99 allright but a 125 :x. so for sh*ts and giggles i tried fitting my kx5 motor in the 125 and surprisingly it actually fit. the bottom mount lined up perfect as well as the swing arm bolt. with that being said im curious as to why i havent seen anybody try and tackle this conversion? im thinking about giving it a whirl or maybe i should just part it and get some money to put towards my 250/500 conversion. im up in the air with this what do you guys think?

Offline ZETTNORCAL

Re: wish people would be more honest
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 03:33:32 AM »
No No , do it.  The only problems will be the pipe to front tire clearance.  Diff offset triples will fix that.  Might not be a problem anyway.

Offline 91kawifive00

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 12:29:12 PM »
No No , do it.  The only problems will be the pipe to front tire clearance.  Diff offset triples will fix that.  Might not be a problem anyway.

i noticed the pipe might hit the y in the cradle. im sure i can just notch and weld it. if i use my 500 front end it might take care of the pipe to tire clearance if any. but im still curious as to why i havent seen any 125/500 conversions done?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 12:40:56 PM by 91kawifive00 »

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 06:44:07 AM »
I would think its because the 125/250 frames are so simillar, I doubt you would gain anything (other than extra clearance issues) by using 125 frame.my ?2.K.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline don46

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 06:51:07 AM »
I would think its because the 125/250 frames are so simillar, I doubt you would gain anything (other than extra clearance issues) by using 125 frame.my ?2.K.

Similar in that they are both painted green :-D beyond that they are completely different where the motor sits in the cradle. I bought one years ago thinking they would be close enough, there were to many things that diodn't work for me, I knew it was going to be a huge job so I set aside the 125 frame and went with a 250. I'm now using the 125 frame for my KDX hybrid conversion. was it me I'd use the 250 frame and make life easy on yourself.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline jonny500

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 07:41:37 AM »
you could just get a 99-02 250 bare frame, and transfer all the 125 parts over and then sell the 125 bare frame

Offline 91kawifive00

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 07:45:09 AM »

Similar in that they are both painted green :-D beyond that they are completely different where the motor sits in the cradle. I bought one years ago thinking they would be close enough, there were to many things that diodn't work for me, I knew it was going to be a huge job so I set aside the 125 frame and went with a 250. I'm now using the 125 frame for my KDX hybrid conversion. was it me I'd use the 250 frame and make life easy on yourself.

i thought it wouldnt even be close as well, but when i placed my motor in the frame the bottom mount as well as the swing arm bolt lined right up. if i cut the the swing arm it would bolt right up.

Offline 91kawifive00

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 07:46:08 AM »
whats a good site to run serial #'s ? maybe the site i found and used is bs lol. i think the site i used was motoverse or something like that
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 07:58:58 AM by 91kawifive00 »

Offline 91kawifive00

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 07:48:15 AM »
you could just get a 99-02 250 bare frame, and transfer all the 125 parts over and then sell the 125 bare frame

i was just thinking if it doesnt work out i would just part the bike out. whatever change i get from that i would put towards my 250/500 build.

Offline jonny500

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 08:17:27 AM »
theres no point you have all the parts you need apart from the main frame the forks, yokes, suspension, sub frame, brakes, tank, plastics will all fit on the 250 frame. theres loads of 250 frames on ebay, get 1 and your ready to go :-D

Offline 91kawifive00

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 09:20:46 AM »
this is the serial # on the frame i got.

JKAKXRLC4XA000192

Offline 91kawifive00

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 09:27:35 AM »
theres no point you have all the parts you need apart from the main frame the forks, yokes, suspension, sub frame, brakes, tank, plastics will all fit on the 250 frame. theres loads of 250 frames on ebay, get 1 and your ready to go :-D

i feel ya. the front forks on the chassis i picked up are startin to pit. so i would be using my 500 front forks. some of the bearings in the rear are seased. was a pain in the arss to get the bottom bolt out of the linkege to take the rear shock off. i picked it up hoping that it was indeed a 250 frame i was going to use a bunch off my 500. judging by the responsis im getting im prob just gonna part it.

Offline don46

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 11:48:44 AM »

i thought it wouldnt even be close as well, but when i placed my motor in the frame the bottom mount as well as the swing arm bolt lined right up. if i cut the the swing arm it would bolt right up.

There is one critical measurement that you have not mentioned, The countershaft center has to line up with the center of the swingarm bolt which in theory you also have to have the swingarm at the midpoint of its stroke and the axle would also line up. the countershaft and the swingarm most defineately have to line up the swingarm has to be very close otherwise the chain will either be way to loose or to tight, by aligning them you reach a compromise. I don't remember exactly why I didn't use the 125 frame, but there must have been one, maybe I was lazy and didn't want to do the extra work.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 01:45:58 PM »
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline 91kawifive00

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 12:55:36 AM »

hmm good point.. i deff did forget about that. couldnt that be adjusted by the mount hight? well to a certain extent? im gonna take a look at that tonight. if its off by a lot im just gonna keep what i can and part the rest for the 250/500 build. it would be freakin awesome to have a 500 in a 125 frame but i dont know if its worth the work.

There is one critical measurement that you have not mentioned, The countershaft center has to line up with the center of the swingarm bolt which in theory you also have to have the swingarm at the midpoint of its stroke and the axle would also line up. the countershaft and the swingarm most defineately have to line up the swingarm has to be very close otherwise the chain will either be way to loose or to tight, by aligning them you reach a compromise. I don't remember exactly why I didn't use the 125 frame, but there must have been one, maybe I was lazy and didn't want to do the extra work.