Author Topic: Push button reverse  (Read 1919 times)

Offline GreenMachine

Push button reverse
« on: June 07, 2004, 12:19:27 PM »
Ok, take a look at this video. It's defenetly worth a look even if you just laugh at it and go on.

http://arizonadirtslingers.com/images/pushbuttonreverse0001.AVI

My wife didn't get me doing it forwards. But the bike was running the other way before.

Ok, now if your done laughing yet on to a more serious note. I got a stator plate with dual lighting coils that was made for a baja1000 race bike. The guy who owned it didn't do the work on the bike, he just owned it so he isn't much help. It is a dubble stacked ignighter and ignition coil. It uses the flywheel and CDI box from a Ducati.

When I first installed it I lined up the timing marks on the plate with the marks on the case. This produced some serious kick back on the kick starter. So I rotated the stator plate counter clock wise. This was even worse and the bike would not run. So I rotated the plate clock wise. The bike starts very easy and runs fairly good here, but as you can see from the video if it misses it starts running in reverse.

No for my question. Does any one here know what the KX500 is supposed to be timed at?

I am pretty sure that it is just a tad bit advanced alowing it to reverse directions. What way do you rotate the plate to retard the timing? I would assume it would be counter clock wise, but that would put me back  to where I was getting kick backs.

Open for some suggestions here.

Thanks,
Jody
Even the mightiest of oaks was once just a crazy nut that stood its ground.

Offline KXcam22

Push button reverse
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2004, 12:52:37 PM »
Green Machine,
   Cool vid. I think your timing may be retarded to near 0 deg. BTDC right now. Sorry I don't have my manual handy so I can't give you any timing specs.  When I was a kid a friend had a bultaco that would run backwards ( the bike was more fun going backwards than forwards). The point timing would drift to tdc.  Rotating the stator clockwise should advance the timing.  Kick backs may be too much advanced (not sure?). Hope  this helps. Cam.

mikesmith

Push button reverse
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2004, 09:35:58 PM »
I had a friend that converted his Honda MR175 from points to electronic ignition and it would run backwards.What a surprise when you dumped the clutch at times!

Pinchy

Push button reverse
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2004, 06:44:44 PM »
Ive always heard tales of 2 strokes running in reverse from old friends but deep down never really believed em 100%.

That video is really kewl. Have you tried to ride the thing in reverse? Would be quite a challenge. I know from riding bicycles it seemed impossible coz the physics and geometry just never went in your favour.

Have you got any videos of you moving in reverse?

Offline GreenMachine

Push button reverse
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004, 02:06:26 AM »
No, no video of reverse riding. And I have since fixed the problem. I go ahold of the machanic that used to work for the guy I bought the stator from and he sent me the right flywheel. I kinda laughed cause I guess it happened to them also.
On another note, I must agree with Paul on the topic of flywheel weights.
I HATE EM! The flywheel weighs about 1 pound more than a stocker. My bike is not as near as snappy. But, I found the only place that this is a real advanage is long rocky hill climbs. it chugs up em like a tractor.

I am thinking about taking the lighting coil off and only using it when I might be riding at night.

Jody
Even the mightiest of oaks was once just a crazy nut that stood its ground.

mikesmith

Push button reverse
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2004, 07:22:38 PM »
You know Team Kawasaki used to add weight to the fly wheel (not sure how much) for there 500 when there was a class for them,so maybe a 8oz or so would be better.Any one ever try turning down there flywheel weight to 10 or 8oz,or willing to try?I would,but I dont have a fly wheel weight or the $ for one right now,but if someone would try it out it would be good to know.