Author Topic: exhaust frame mount breakage.  (Read 3095 times)

Offline boozee76

exhaust frame mount breakage.
« on: October 22, 2011, 07:22:56 PM »
hi, can any one tell me why the mounting bracket keeps cracking away from the frame.its the one where the pipe is fixed under the tank. ive had it welded once.cheers andy.

Offline weymouth399

Re: exhaust frame mount breakage.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 01:49:27 AM »
This has only happened to me once out of 6 KX5s, on my brand new 04.  :cry:
I welded a thicker washer to the frame and fitted the pipe better. The fitment of the pipe is terrible new, my silencer rubs the tire, fender misaligned. It was like they got worst instead of better from 88 on. My 88 250 wasn't close either.

Bob W
93 KX500 ice bike for sale
00 KX 500 ice/dirt
04 KDX220 dirt
04 Kx 500 ice bike
08 KLX 450 on/off
72CT90x2 for sale
76LB80Chappy
86FJ1200
89FJ1200

Offline 1989kawasaki

• my 89 cr250
    • youtube
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 02:36:17 AM »
the exhaust tab broke on my 89 kx250.  (same frame as the 500)
bikes

1977 RD400
1989 CR250
1988 CR500
1978 Z50
2009 Harley super glide custom

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 02:21:56 AM »
hi, can any one tell me why the mounting bracket keeps cracking away from the frame.its the one where the pipe is fixed under the tank. ive had it welded once.cheers andy.

Do some searching. That pipe mount breaks all the time on the KX5's. Mine was broke when I bought my 500 back in '06, and its still broke today. Many people re-weld a new mount, but IMO it's not worth the aggravation an unnecessary extra mount. 
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline 1989kawasaki

• my 89 cr250
    • youtube
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 03:01:22 AM »
the easy fix is to wrap a zip tye around the bracket on the pipe and around the frame tube right where the coil sits.  my zip tye has been there for almost 2 seasons now
bikes

1977 RD400
1989 CR250
1988 CR500
1978 Z50
2009 Harley super glide custom

Offline awak100

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 01:55:39 AM »
I think the best idea so far is useing a 1"x1/4" strap, and bending it in a u shape and attaching it to the bottom of the frame.  welding it to the same spot as the excisting spot.  wasnt my idea, saw it on this forum.  Ive tryed a 1/2"x1/2" square stock and fitting it in the excisting spot, it broke to.  the strap I think would be the best idea.  By the way I'm makeing some new style exhaust mounts/vibration dampners to replace the junk factory ones.  They will last forever and the replacement parts for it will be very cheap.  About 18.00 for one but cheaper for three of them because of shipping.  they will fit just about all 2 stroke kx's. In case anybody's interested.  I simply got tired of replaceing kawa part, so I started makeing my own. 

Offline demographic

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 09:40:56 AM »
By the way I'm makeing some new style exhaust mounts/vibration dampners to replace the junk factory ones.  They will last forever and the replacement parts for it will be very cheap.  About 18.00 for one but cheaper for three of them because of shipping.  they will fit just about all 2 stroke kx's. In case anybody's interested.  I simply got tired of replaceing kawa part, so I started makeing my own. 

You are?  Kin ell, you kept that quiet...

Motorrad

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 09:49:46 AM »
I think the best idea so far is useing a 1"x1/4" strap, and bending it in a u shape and attaching it to the bottom of the frame.  welding it to the same spot as the excisting spot.  wasnt my idea, saw it on this forum.  Ive tryed a 1/2"x1/2" square stock and fitting it in the excisting spot, it broke to.  the strap I think would be the best idea.  By the way I'm makeing some new style exhaust mounts/vibration dampners to replace the junk factory ones.  They will last forever and the replacement parts for it will be very cheap.  About 18.00 for one but cheaper for three of them because of shipping.  they will fit just about all 2 stroke kx's. In case anybody's interested.  I simply got tired of replaceing kawa part, so I started makeing my own. 

Id like to see them...   I have a dead one.. that needs replace (only has 2 riding hours on it()

Offline awak100

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 11:08:06 AM »
Well Motorad I looked at your bio, are You 18 years old by age, do you mind me asking?  No I'm not some crazy guy I just like helping kids out thats all.  They come over to my shop quite a bit, usually help them out for cheap.  I'm 53 years.  I like another generation of k5"s.  Thats why I'm asking?

Offline awak100

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 11:45:34 AM »
When mounting a pipe on your bike.  Those mounting tabs on the pipe have to be square and paralell to the mount on the frame.  If there not either the mount breakes or the mount welded to the frame breaks.  I've seen on brand new pipes you have to bend a little to get them square and paralell.  hang the pipe from the springs and start with the front mount left side of bike, get that one square and para.  now do the one under the gas tank, then the last one by the shock.  Remember if you look at the dampner and it looks squished on one side and stretched on the other its not right.  If you leave it like that, it will break alot sooner then normal.  Your putting alot of stress on that rubber part.  Here I'll explain it like this.  If you grab your wifes/girl friends hair, and pull it now keep pulling it tight, guess what hair will come out.  If you tighten that dampner, and its not square and paralell, it will come out break.  Now back to your wife/girl friend, she's going to kick your ass if you do that.  So will your K5. Its not just bolting the pipe up and call it good.  Those tabs/mount have to be square.