Author Topic: "Case of the missing crush washer!"  (Read 3100 times)

Offline kxpegger

"Case of the missing crush washer!"
« on: October 19, 2011, 01:49:05 PM »
It's been about a year since I pulled my pipe. I noticed the crush washer was gone! The time before that it was hammered pretty good but still there. I figure it got blown out the exhaust? The OEM O-rings were a little wore down but still intact and sealing pretty well with just a little tiny bit of splooge dripping out of the bottom of the cylinder exhaust port. The FMF O-rings last about 5 or 6 rides and are worthless in my opinion! After three years of using Redline oil the side exhaust valves look great but there is some build up on the bottom of the center valve. I'll worry about it when it comes time to rebuild the top end as the beast still has plenty of power and compression.

I did have a question? The pipe spring eyelets on the cylinder are showing some wear. They have a ways to go before they rip out but wondering what other members have done to prevent this from happening?

Thanks in advance!
North Las Vegas

"05" RMZ450, "08" KX500AF "11" KTM 450SX-F "12" KTM 250SX "15" KTM450SX-F

Offline Polar-Bus

Re: "Case of the missing crush washer!"
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 12:46:10 AM »
It's been about a year since I pulled my pipe. I noticed the crush washer was gone! The time before that it was hammered pretty good but still there. I figure it got blown out the exhaust? The OEM O-rings were a little wore down but still intact and sealing pretty well with just a little tiny bit of splooge dripping out of the bottom of the cylinder exhaust port. The FMF O-rings last about 5 or 6 rides and are worthless in my opinion! After three years of using Redline oil the side exhaust valves look great but there is some build up on the bottom of the center valve. I'll worry about it when it comes time to rebuild the top end as the beast still has plenty of power and compression.

I did have a question? The pipe spring eyelets on the cylinder are showing some wear. They have a ways to go before they rip out but wondering what other members have done to prevent this from happening?

Thanks in advance!

Lay a bead of sRTV silicone along the length of the spring this minimises harmonic vibrations (this is the issue that accelerates the wear on the cyl spring mounts
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline awak100

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 12:19:41 AM »
I'll try the silicone, as well. By the way I'm makeing a new style exhaust mounts/dampners if interested

Offline dieselcamper01

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 03:15:18 AM »
I'll try the silicone, as well. By the way I'm makeing a new style exhaust mounts/dampners if interested

I am fairly new here and not to be a dink but how many threads are you going to post that statement on?

Offline Dutch-K5 Fan

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 04:21:10 AM »
Thats a good  one Dieselcamper :-D
Sorry Awak100, and please don't get me wrong. I just couldn't stop laughing when looked it up. :lol:
And diesel did it worked with cmsnl? I'm from Holland/ The Netherlands.

Dutch
Proud owner of a KX500AF

Offline dieselcamper01

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 08:28:01 AM »
Thats a good  one Dieselcamper :-D
Sorry Awak100, and please don't get me wrong. I just couldn't stop laughing when looked it up. :lol:
And diesel did it worked with cmsnl? I'm from Holland/ The Netherlands.

Dutch

Hey Dutch. Sorry about the delay in responding but I was out of town this weekend. I actually found a complete gasket set on ebay that I just ordered today for about $49 US. I figured why buy just one that will liely cost just as much with shipping. Thank you so much for the link though. I will keep that handy for the future.

Sorry to the OP for this thread hijack.