Author Topic: Suspension  (Read 1612 times)

FastKX500

Suspension
« on: July 21, 2004, 03:21:55 AM »
My friend has a 94 kx500 and i know they have different forks then mine (89) but his suspension is alot stiffer and his bike sits a little higher, his pulls wheelies alot easier is this becuase of the stiff suspension? Mines real soft , you sit on my bike and you sink down pretty good, i guess its to keep the front down? Also do clutches go bad on 500's? because hes trying to tell me that my clutch is slipping...but i dont feel it slipping

mikesmith

Suspension
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 05:33:01 AM »
Your springs may be worn out,you may be to heavy for the spring rate you have.Have you tried adjusting your compression damping?If you remove the rubber plugs from the bottom of your forks and turn the adjuster in with a flat screw driver (there 16 "clicks",so dont try to force the adjuster) it will make it compress the forks slower.But Im sure you need new springs.Yes clutches do wear out on any bike,try adjusting freeplay at the lever to 1/8" about and keep fresh tranny oil in it,I run gear saver from Bel-Ray.

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Suspension
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 05:48:33 AM »
It's as simple as inverted forks sit "higher" than the conventional ones in your 1989

Rick

Suspension
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 03:00:41 AM »
Thought I would chim in on this topic.  On the wheelie question, the stiffer your rear suspension, the easier it is to get the front wheel off the ground.  So, yes, your softer suspension can inhibit your ability to pull the front wheel from mother earth.

FastKX500

Suspension
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2004, 03:29:14 PM »
I was thinking the guy before me set it up that way, i mean its better for racing if you keep the front down right?