Author Topic: Interchange.  (Read 3378 times)

Offline CR480R

Interchange.
« on: October 10, 2011, 05:16:10 AM »
I just bought 3 incomplete 500's..  One is a mostly complete '90, the better half of a '94, and a mostly stripped '87.  

The '94 has the tightest suspension.  Since i dont have them home yet i guess my first question is will the '94 rear suspension components bolt onto the '90 frame? The '87 came with a bottom end. Will any of the '87 engine parts swap with the newer ones? or should i just sell from it what i can?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 07:59:59 PM by CR480R »

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: Interchange.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 05:51:15 AM »
hey CR...yeah the suspension from the 94 should swap right over to the 90 without any issues.As far as the 87 parts...you can either check part numbers on Kawasakis website to see if any match up to the other bikes....or wait,and someone on here will know,I'm really not sure myself.
Foxx
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline CR480R

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 06:25:33 AM »
thanks foxx.  I would also like to know if the 18" wheel from the '87 will fit.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 06:44:15 AM »
I'm not 100% sure...but I don't see there being any issue swapping the 18" either,besides possibly axle differences,I'd like to try an 18" too...cause I always wanted to try out one of those nasty TerraFlex rears!!
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline crazyolbastard

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 08:53:22 AM »
Crazy Ol Bastard

Offline CR480R

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 10:02:21 AM »
thank you.

Offline turdle

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 01:30:30 AM »
I'm not 100% sure...but I don't see there being any issue swapping the 18" either,besides possibly axle differences,I'd like to try an 18" too...cause I always wanted to try out one of those nasty TerraFlex rears!!

yes you can swap back and forth. i have an 87 and a 93 chassis,you have to play with the axle spacers, and chain guide. i put my 87 s-arm in the 93 because it's wider to fit my sand scoop,[18"]   and my 19" michelin

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 07:02:51 AM »
Thank you guys for posting what you have actually swapped.
  I am guilty myself of " I read somewhere"  and not having the parts to actually have swapped things out. 
  Thanks again,
   Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline CR480R

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 02:50:24 PM »
The 87 wheel does not fit IMO. I am just gonna use the whole 87 setup. I plan to do some hillclimbing and it'll be easier to make extensions for the '87 swinger.

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 08:03:11 PM »
I have an 87 Wheel on my 93. Had to grind both spacers down to fit. It's been a couple years since I did that but I think the right side spacer needed more grinding for the caliper and chain to line up.

I don't know about turdle but my buddy has a 92 with a 87 swinger and it throws the suspension geometry way off. It's about 4" lower than mine without anyone on it and even lower with someone on. The shock is great but the linkage is all kinds of screwy mixed and matched parts. Maybe if you use the 87 shock and linkage it would be ok?

All the parts between the 90 and 94 are interchangeable. I don't think there were any trans changes between the 2. I know in 95 the shift shaft was updated but still interchanges with the older machines just need a updated shift lever and you're good to go. 94 Suspension is way better than the 90 by far so even if they leak rebuild them. It's worth it.

Any other questions or concerns feel free to pm me. Laid off work for winter so I have all the time in the world.
Cheers and good luck.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 11:53:42 PM »
there are some things in an 87 bottom end that will interchange with 89-04, crank will (although it is a different crank and primary location), w/pump and p/valve drive and clutch. cases and transmission won't.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline CR480R

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 07:48:46 PM »
I have an 87 Wheel on my 93. Had to grind both spacers down to fit. It's been a couple years since I did that but I think the right side spacer needed more grinding for the caliper and chain to line up.

Yes like you said both spacers would need to be narrowed, and the rotor spacing is different, but it must be close enough. I just bought a second 87 wheel, so i may go this route if the '87 swinagrm doesnt work out.

yes you can swap back and forth. i have an 87 and a 93 chassis,you have to play with the axle spacers, and chain guide. i put my 87 s-arm in the 93 because it's wider to fit my sand scoop,[18"]   and my 19" michelin

Shouldnt the chain guide be a fixed match with the countershaft sprocket? Does your '87 swingarm sit at the same ride hight as before?

I don't know about turdle but my buddy has a 92 with a 87 swinger and it throws the suspension geometry way off. It's about 4" lower than mine without anyone on it and even lower with someone on. The shock is great but the linkage is all kinds of screwy mixed and matched parts. Maybe if you use the 87 shock and linkage it would be ok?

My '90 was like that. In my case it was because someone swapped on a '87 shock and link. I found the '90 stuff in a box and it appears blown. As far as I can tell with a tape(cuz my caliper is too small) the swingarms appear the same or real close. The '87 shock, link, and pull rods differ for sure though.

All the parts between the 90 and 94 are interchangeable. I don't think there were any trans changes between the 2. I know in 95 the shift shaft was updated but still interchanges with the older machines just need a updated shift lever and you're good to go. 94 Suspension is way better than the 90 by far so even if they leak rebuild them. It's worth it.

I picked up a 2nd '94 roller last week, and since all my '90 stuff is shot they will both be "94's".  I am swapping a kdx250 engine into one of them. I used to have the engine in a 3-wheeler, and i think it will make a great trail bike for me to ride while I do a proper rebuild on the 500. I bought a '89 KX250 pipe/silencer, and everything else looks to be a easy swap. My goal is to have a 250cc trail/practice bike and a 500cc dune /hillclimb racer both with matching ergoes and direct chassis parts interchange.

Any other questions or concerns feel free to pm me. Laid off work for winter so I have all the time in the world.
Cheers and good luck.

Thank You.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 08:26:42 PM by CR480R »

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 04:23:18 AM »
The dog bone mount on the 87 swingarm is farther back away from the frame than the 89+(don't remember the distance difference). The dog bones are also between 1/2" and 1" longer than 89+. You can use the shorter dog bones but it will still be lower cuz of the mounting point on the 87 swingarm.

The 87 swingarm is wider than the 89+ so the chain guide would need to be shimmed to line up correctly. The 87 frame is considerably different.

The KDX is a great trail bike. It wont be as nimble in the 500 frame cuz it is a longer wheelbase and steering geometry is different. Should still be fun. And it will get you used to how the 500 will handle without worrying about the massive power it puts out.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.