Author Topic: what year KX 250's had the best working rear ends?  (Read 2299 times)

Offline Extranasty

what year KX 250's had the best working rear ends?
« on: October 04, 2011, 03:36:41 AM »
Hi, I was always impressed with how the KX 250 rear end worked on the bikes from like 92 to 2000. I have not ridden the newer ones after2000 so I do not know how they felt.

My 94 KX 250 had great rear suspension and the 97 n 98 n 99 I always rode had me saying when I got done riding them gee I wish my CR rear acted like that, so I am wondering what the magic was or is it just me or are the newer KXF's better than the old KX stuff. Thanks for any info, I love building bikes and would have no problem grafting a KX rear setup to something else.

Offline Burnt1Dragon

Re: what year KX 250's had the best working rear ends?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 08:30:18 PM »
Hey there,
I have a '97 and an'01 KX.  I prefer the '01 rear suspension as it has a High Speed Compression Dampening adjuster, where the '97 does not.  This allows you some control of ride height AT SPEED.  Also the spring rate is better for me on the '01 (5.2kg\mm) vs. '97 (4.8kg\mm) as I am short and light.  The stiffer spring allows me to run 110mm of "race" sag, and maintiain a 30mm static sag.  The sag "thing" works!  I feel like the bike is more stable at speed and plush without the back tire hitting the fender (I am not smooth lol).  However, obviously the front suspension has alot to do with it.  Additionally, so does the subframe, as it does effect rider position.  I find I ride the front of my '01, where on my '97 I weight the rear more.  Well, that's my $.02.  Hope this helps.  Oh yeah...  I also have a longer link on the '01, so the rear is lower.