Author Topic: bad gas?  (Read 2356 times)

FastKX500

bad gas?
« on: July 16, 2004, 08:31:32 AM »
My 500 was sitting in my garage for months..with a fouled plug, i put a new plug in today just one i found, b7es cause i didnt know it was fouled so i put her in not thinking about the gas..started her up took it down the road it takes off, but in high rpms just doesnt move, has to be the gas right? i drained it out and its clear as water..and i use RED oil..should new gas and oil fix the prob?

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
bad gas?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 08:53:54 AM »
Yes. After 24 or so hours, the gas and oil begin to break down and start losing thier protective characteristics. My rule of thumb is if I can't burn it in 24 hours I mixed too much.

Fresh fuel has more umph than stale fuel  :wink:

FastKX500

bad gas?
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 09:02:43 AM »
well t hen i guesss its the sparkplug? it starts right up, just when i get on it it just like sputters and doenst go anywhere, should i pick up a B8ES or you said something about Br7es i think i have one of those laying around, and even if i put a pint of oil in a gas can months ago it breaks down that much you dont even see it? because i shook it up and dumped some out and it was clear as water..is that still safe to put in?

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
bad gas?
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 10:38:52 AM »
Yes, it does breakdown that much. Drain it and start with some fresh fuel, no reason to sacrifice a perfectly good rod bearing ;)

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
bad gas?
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 11:45:17 AM »
Quote from: Paul
Yes, it does breakdown that much. Drain it and start with some fresh fuel, no reason to sacrifice a perfectly good rod bearing ;)
:worship: I wish I knew that about 5 years ago.. Some people don't think common sense (ME) or just don't listen. Cause I lost a piston and rod bearing with a YZ I had years back.

DanH1

bad gas?
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2004, 01:22:27 PM »
I don't believe that modern synthetics breakdown like the castor based oils do. If gas is kept in any plastic container the aeromatics are lost through the pores in the plastic gas can or gas tank. Don't believe me - put alittle race gas in a plastic gas can let it set for a couple weeks and see how much is left. Race gas just evaporates leaving the oil, pump gas will evaporate slower leaving the oil and all the additives - that will eventually snell like "varnish".
   As Paul said, always use all your gas or drain your tank and store it in a metal can --that is air tight--.  Dan

Offline Ramski

bad gas?
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2004, 04:01:04 PM »
I always empty my tank on the bike to prevent discoloring and anything left over gets dumped in my truck. I have never had any problems dumping a little premix in my truck. It's usually only a couple gallons anyway.
Danny Lesovsky

FastKX500

bad gas?
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2004, 04:15:40 AM »
IT was just the d**n spark plug, thanks though guys.