Author Topic: Pipe Gasket?  (Read 1964 times)

FastKX500

Pipe Gasket?
« on: July 19, 2004, 04:20:48 AM »
Okay I took my pro circuit platnium pipe off so i could get it renickelplated..but i ended up painting it with heat paint, and i put it back on the other day but i dont remember taking a gasket off with the pipe? and i put all the springs on and the bolts and tightened them up but exhaust leaks where the pipe goes into the engine..not a whole lot but u can see it when i rev it up, anyone know where i can get a gasket for it, or if there isnt one in the first place? Im not losing any power..i just dont know if its good for the engine. Thanks guys

rhinogrrrl

Pipe Gasket?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 04:43:36 AM »
Usually there is a gasket for the exhaust pipe. You should have the 2 o-rings for the outside of the exhaust pipe (fits in the grooves) and then a thin metal gasket I believe. I usually put a thin coat of High-temp RTV where the exhaust pipe meets the engine on my 250 to prevent spooge leakage...oh that sounds bad...  :wink:

Anyway, I'm sure other more bonafide mechanics out there can tell you if its bad not to have it or if it really doesn't make too much of a difference. If you are leaking, you may be running a tad rich and need to check your jetting.

Am I right guys or am I a goofball & have no clue? :roll:

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Pipe Gasket?
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2004, 05:06:23 AM »
Actually you are loosing a little power. The scavenging capabilities of the pipe are being affected by the "leak" at the head, clean it up real good and apply that layer of hi-temp RTV and you'll not only stop the spooging (god that sounds bad :lol:) but you'll also pick up some lowerend grunt.

FastKX500

Pipe Gasket?
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2004, 09:05:47 AM »
So just put some RTV around the gasket?

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Pipe Gasket?
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2004, 09:12:25 AM »
Quote from: FastKX500
So just put some RTV around the gasket?

Yep, clean the flange up and put yourself a nice bead between the o-rings. When the pipe get slid on it'll move that stuff where it needs to go. just let it cure over night aleast so the temp doesn't affect it.

FastKX500

Pipe Gasket?
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2004, 09:17:47 AM »
ok thanks paul.

rhinogrrrl

Pipe Gasket?
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2004, 09:36:16 AM »
Yup, that's how you do it...I also put a bead around the junction after you seat the pipe.