Author Topic: Clutch cover material  (Read 3638 times)

Offline littlewing78

Clutch cover material
« on: September 20, 2011, 04:04:17 PM »
My clutch cover is cracked and I would like to know whats its made of.  I am hoping its aluminum so I could possibly get it welded.

Offline Polar-Bus

Re: Clutch cover material
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 10:24:02 PM »
Cast aluminum
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 11:49:54 PM »
no problem for experienced welder.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 08:41:56 AM »
no problem for experienced welder.

As long as the cast aluminum is of good quality. If the aluminum has a lot of impurities it can be a PIA to sucessfully weld...  :?
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline Larry Wiechman

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 01:11:03 PM »

Brake pedal poke a hole in the cover? I like to add a patch of 1/8 thick aluminum in that area to spread the load. Or just don't crash on that side anymore.

TIG weld with 4043 rod. If someone wants to weld it with a MIG welder, grab your parts and run...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 01:20:01 PM by Larry Wiechman »

Offline littlewing78

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 01:25:30 PM »
I didn't have it quite seated right when I was putting in one and when I tightened it down it cracked.  And yes there is a brake pedal hole too.

Offline Larry Wiechman

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 02:04:22 PM »

Can you send me a photo or post one here?
Lwiechman@charter.net

Offline bike_boy_england

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 02:54:01 AM »
my brake pedal has also put a slight ding in my cover. it's not too bad as it isnt leaking oil, i was wondering if it could be beat out from the inside and welded? i think it's magnesium??

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 05:35:13 AM »
yours is magnesium, as its not a production cover.have you had a snoop about in the cases yet to see if she got any more goodies? if not, why not? :-D
what part of uk are you in b.b.e.?K.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''

Offline bike_boy_england

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 10:20:00 AM »
im in newcastle, the powervalves are pinned fully open, barrel has had extensive porting mods, head has been skimmed and i have a hand made pipe for it. supposedly parts from a dave thorpe race bike. it has been used for tarmac hillclimbs and goes like the clappers! btw there are threads on this site about my bike prior to me owning it. SR 500, regards alex

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 10:23:51 AM »
I know, it was me that had seen it at barbon, a good way back.do you know if it has bigger main bearings than stock, and are your other casings mag too, or just clutch? im in Notts.K.

Offline bike_boy_england

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 09:50:16 AM »
i havent had the crank cases apart on this engine, but comparing flywheel sides to a 92 engine i have they look the same. the flywheel cover is made of ali. if all goes to plan it will be getting some other mods over winter which require cases to be split!! I cant wait to be honest! alex

Offline littlewing78

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 01:41:52 PM »
Here is a picture of the crack from the inside of the case.  The outside is currently covered in JB Weld.  Which by the way, got me through a 70 mile desert race.