Author Topic: carb drain hoses  (Read 3557 times)

Offline mlstoner660

carb drain hoses
« on: September 15, 2011, 09:42:34 AM »
Was wanting to see if any one could take pictures of the drain hoses that come off the Carb? I recently rebuilt my bike and put the motor back in. Its been apart for almost 2 years and I don't remember how the hoses go. I have one that has a plastic t in it that broke and I don't remember how it went. So if any one can post up a picture from both sides of the bike of the way their supposed to be hooked up I would appreciate it.
forgot to mention its a 2000 kx 5
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 09:48:25 AM by mlstoner660 »
minor set backs bring major come backs

Offline jtm60

Re: carb drain hoses
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 03:46:31 AM »
i just snapped a few off my nearly stock '99 kx5..will post them up ASAP.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 04:57:16 AM »
Hey Stoney,
  The vent lines can be routed a number of different ways and still be effective.  The "T" you are asking about
generally is off the right side of the carb.   If you rotate the T 90deg.  clockwise, one leg runs up under the backbone of the frame near the coil.  The other leg drops down with the crankcase vent over the swingarm. 
     The left vent or overflow is usually routed towards the shifter and secured by a small line holder that uses a bolt from the magneto cover to keep it in place.    If this doesn't make sense I'll look for some piccy's.
  Tuck\o/
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 04:59:20 AM by Friar-Tuck »
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline jtm60

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 08:26:37 AM »
here ya go

Offline jtm60

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 08:30:19 AM »
not sure what happened to the last one..doesnt appear to be loading correctly..so trying again..

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 11:45:40 AM »
Hey JTM,
 Thanks for posting the pic's.  The only problem I ever had with vent hoses was when I had the brilliant I dea I was gonna rout them to the air box.
   Bad Idea  The pulses from the engine intake kept messing with how the bike ran.
  What was happening was the intake works just like the exhaust as far as the pulse from the air being drawn in through the carb and then the reeds shut.  The airbox is essentially a big air spring. when I routed the vent lines in the airbox the pulses would raise and lower the floats and fuel level.
      Keep your vents away from the air box and all is well.  Check them once in a while for either a bug making a home or mud clogging. 

There are guys who have installed check valves in the overflow and fuel filters on the vent lines to prevent ingesting dust in the carb via the vent  and overflow lines.   
      http://www.kevinscycleracing.com/intakeandcarburetor.htm

Tuck\o/

"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline mlstoner660

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 12:17:33 PM »
Thanks tuck and jtm that was exactly what I was needing. I've got them all routed down in the same place by the rear shock. Didn't put the t back in but should be alright I think
minor set backs bring major come backs

Offline jtm60

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 01:50:42 PM »
no problem.  the only other little trick i used to do-and will do to this bike is to cut the ends of all the vent hoses off at a 45 degree angle instead of leaving them straight cut..they tend to stay cleaner and dont get plugged up so easily.