Author Topic: KX5 chassis/suspension compared to current models  (Read 1990 times)

Offline Got Beer

KX5 chassis/suspension compared to current models
« on: September 10, 2011, 08:05:26 AM »
Mine is a 2001. That is over 10 years ancient technology. Older if you considered the lack of changes from prior model years (I'm in denial on this point). So my question is, has the frame geometry and suspension workings changed so much during that time? Has there been a generational jump in these components?

I recognize the motor difference from the new 4-strokes. It is that love for the big 2 stroke that lead me to the KX5. Had a CR500 and had a blast. Sold it, moved to a KTM 520. Had a blast but it was different; do miss the electric start and the already present battery. Back to the 2 stroke 500. So, my questions are focused on the non-motor parts of the bike.

Consider that my suspension has been modified/freshened/re-sprung for my weight, riding type, and experience. The forks are inverted. How far off from the 2011 and 2012 frames/suspension is the 2001 KX5 setup? Head tube angles? Height? Rear linkage? Have things gotten so much better in the last 10 years?

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm out west in CA; ride desert and mountain trails.

Offline sintax

Re: KX5 chassis/suspension compared to current models
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 10:12:24 AM »

Honestly its like a 1971 transam vs a late model 2010 corvette.

The trans-am is still a way fun car to drive, and its got some solid balls, but it just kinda feels dated. It gets the job done, but not in the same way as the new corvette would. The trans-am really has a place for its talents, while the new vette is a solid performer almost all over.

Being a so.cal desert guy myself, i can vouch for the KX500's capabilities in the hands of a competent rider. I personally love the feeling of the KX500 as a desert bike. Its big, its heavy, but in the desert thats really a good thing. The weight keeps it straight in the woops, and in the fast sections, keeping the shimmys and shakes to a minimum.

Having the KX500 out in the goat trails where you have to man handle the bike does leave some to be desired though. Then again, i would not really enjoy a 2011 KX450 in that conditions either... I guess its kinda finding the proper tool for the job. Thats my take on it i guess.

I thought I wanted to put my KX500 engine into a newer chassis, and i'm glad i did it. But often times I do kinda sit and wish I had not....

My solution is just to find another bike. .