Author Topic: Got the 92  (Read 8138 times)

Offline SteelHorse751

Got the 92
« on: September 03, 2011, 10:59:11 PM »
 Well after checking everything I could that was recommended on a previous thread before buying , I am now officially part of the K5 Brotherhood.

The bike is a 92 after checking the VIN as well as the engine codes.

Since I was on leave, I didn't have time to go to deep into taking things apart to find out what all was inside, here is what I do know.

Engine: PSI Porting and Rad Valve installed. No spacer was installed.
 I pulled the ignition cover and could not feel any play when trying to move the flywheel. No fly wheel weight has been added.

Pipes: PSI installed and he gave me another one that is an FMF Fatty. I called FMF and with the part number that is on the pipe, it is an original Fatty that I guess they no longer make.

CARB: looks stock but I know I will need to clean it up good and do some jetting to get it spot on. The good thing is, the bike starts on 1-3 kicks when cold and 1st kick after warm, but runs a little rough off the bottom. Once "on the pipe" it runs great. Air filter was clean and fresh.

Shock: not sure if any work had been done to it, but it does have a dual Eibach spring setup. The big spring is black and there is a short (2-3 coils) blue spring on top of it.

Forks: Didn't tear into them so I don't know what spring are in there, but there was no oil leaking out of the seals even after over an hour of riding the bike. Spring rate seems to be pretty close for my wieght, at least from the riding I got to do. Kind like the way the blue forks look after I finally saw the bike in person for the firt time.

Chain: Regina (non O-ring) Fredette (?) chain guide.

Sprockets: Front looks stock (13T) Rear is a Talon (47T) Both have lots of life left on them.

Brakes: Both function well with the rear rotor looking stock, but the front looks different that the ones I have seen on most pictures of 92 K5s.

Tires were pretty new Dunlop 742s Not the greatest tire from what I have read, but they stick pretty well on the dried grass in my field. 

Bars are low profile non cross bar type. Can't remember exactly if they were Easton or Renthal (Whatever company uses the "100%), but they fit me well, and were a comfortable bend.

I did find the suspect cracks in the upper shock mounts, but my son is a welder and said he could fix that with no problems.

No wobble in the either wheels or the swing arm. The suspension travel is smooth with no sticking points and trackes true even over the bumpy ground of my field at speed.

It seems to turn great even on grass. So I guess the guy who had it set everything up for motocross (which is what I plan to do with it.)

Overall, I think it is a great bike that just needs a little more love and attention.

Smoke from the long trip back to Afghanistan, but if there is anything else I can remeber when my brain gets back to normal, I'll post it.

Bottom line...I love my KX 500!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to all who gave me some help in looking the bike over before I bought it and thanks to this site for all the great info everyone has shared!

« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 06:00:39 AM by SteelHorse751 »

Offline SteelHorse751

Re: Got the 92
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 12:16:04 AM »
 Forgot to add, none of the exhaust mounts were cracked or broken.

Here is a couple of shots of my bike.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 01:00:16 AM by SteelHorse751 »

Offline 1989kawasaki

• my 89 cr250
    • youtube
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 04:53:29 AM »
Thats a real nice bike  :-o
bikes

1977 RD400
1989 CR250
1988 CR500
1978 Z50
2009 Harley super glide custom

Offline SteelHorse751

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 05:55:38 AM »
 Thank you.

It needs some love, but I think I have a good platform to start with and am happy with it.

Still trying to decide if I should strip it down and  powder coat the frame green again, or leave it in basically leave it like it is. Just replace the grips, lever covers and get the engine and suspension dialed in.

Sort of choosing between a fresher-newer look or keep the "old warrior" look.

I have time to decide either way until I get back home.

Motorrad

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 06:09:20 AM »
Sweet!

Offline 1989kawasaki

• my 89 cr250
    • youtube
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 07:33:21 AM »
keep the "old" look to it cause making an older bike look like a current model is the worst thing you can do in my eyes
bikes

1977 RD400
1989 CR250
1988 CR500
1978 Z50
2009 Harley super glide custom

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 09:30:43 AM »
Hey Steelie,
 Glad to have you back in "The World" and welcome to the K5 Contingency!
  Your bike looks great!  Hope it loves you long time with hrs of troublefree operation.
 Let us know how we can help, Take some time to de-compress and relax. 
   The best advice I can give you is get a clymer and or service manual and mind that throttle control...
You can get in a big mess quite quickly.   You don't realize how fast your going 'til you try to slow down!

Tuck\o/   
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 11:56:48 AM »
Great looking bike & congrats! My vote is leave it be. There's something about an older bike that looks really clean, like pulling out a time capsule. Just make sure it's serviced & ready to ride, which it sounds like you are doing. Have fun
if I only had a pair, I could actually ride this thing

& to the people I like  FYYFF

Offline SteelHorse751

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 01:27:35 PM »
 From the consensus so far, it sounds like most are of the same opinion as the guys who were at the shop when I checked the bike out for the first time.

Clean it up, but leave it like it is.

Talking to the guys that were at the shop (lots and lots of Vintage and Post Vintage Era bikes there) who race Vintage bikes and knew the history behind this K5 all said it would be a same to change it too much from the way it is now. Alot of them have been Racing Motocross in and around Texas since the early 70s and knew the oringinal owner of the bike. Some pretty cool stories they had about not only this bike but just racing in general through the last 30+ years.

Plus, as I got it home and cleaned up the current look really started growing on me as well. 

Fryar-Tuck: I was only home on R&R for a coupe of weeks. I am back in Afghanistan for a while longer, but I took a bunch of pictures so that (a long with talking to you guys on KXRiders) will get me through until  get back home for good.

Offline SteelHorse751

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 01:43:25 PM »
 Was wondering if anyone has seen Radiator covers that look like the ones on my bike.

I have found that most everything on the bike is a product of the early to mid 90s but I haven't been able to find out much info on these covers/guards.

They look like they will do a good job of protecting the Radiators, but just was wondering.....

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 03:33:33 PM »

Oh Sheesh, Sorry Steelie.
    I was in Deutchland '85-'87 KirchGoens 3rd AD   2/26th Infantry.   I know it can seem like forever before you get a short timers calender.. ( If you guys still do that)  But time marches on, you finally get to clear out and climb on that big bird home... 
  Hang in there Bro,  Keep in touch!!.
  Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline serafin

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 05:30:18 PM »
Their MSR Racing "Malcolm Smith" same ones I have on my bike.

Serafin

Offline SteelHorse751

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 06:25:42 PM »
Their MSR Racing "Malcolm Smith" same ones I have on my bike.

Serafin

Thanks for the info Serafin.

Looks like they will do a good job of keeping Roost from doing damage to the Radiators.

Offline SteelHorse751

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 06:31:32 PM »

Oh Sheesh, Sorry Steelie.
    I was in Deutchland '85-'87 KirchGoens 3rd AD   2/26th Infantry.   I know it can seem like forever before you get a short timers calender.. ( If you guys still do that)  But time marches on, you finally get to clear out and climb on that big bird home... 
  Hang in there Bro,  Keep in touch!!.
  Tuck\o/

No problem Tuck.

I am retired now. Did 24 yrs as a Grunt myself. Now just working to get everything paid off and be able to afford my renewed love of Dirt Bikes and Motocross.

I was at Schweinfurt from 92-94 with 2-15 IN, 3ID. Still, being here on this small FOB and being embedded with a unit almost makes it feel like I am still in uniform.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 12:13:29 AM »
Was wondering if anyone has seen Radiator covers that look like the ones on my bike.

I have found that most everything on the bike is a product of the early to mid 90s but I haven't been able to find out much info on these covers/guards.

They look like they will do a good job of protecting the Radiators, but just was wondering.....

those MSR braces were not the best updrade as they would easily pack with mud and choke off airflow. They are a good idea in the sense of adding rad rigidity preventing bending, but just be forewarned about the mud issue.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart