Author Topic: A few tiny tricks I do to my bike.  (Read 11354 times)

Offline Verde Grande

A few tiny tricks I do to my bike.
« on: August 31, 2011, 10:18:53 AM »
Hey all,
Just thought I'd share a couple little tips that make things a touch easier.
I apologize for the crappy photos; I only had my iPhone with me today.

Ever had your day shortened when you fell on the right side of the bike and the brake lever
punched a small hole in the case? I have and it was a drag. Expensive, too.
  So I take a preemptive measure by cutting a small piece of aluminum to the shape shown, give
it a little concave with a ball peen hammer so it matches the contour a little better, and
then epoxy it in place.

You know how when you're pulling the air filter, that top lip is loaded with dirt and sooner or later you're going
to drop some in the boot. Crap!!! I put a piece of tape that overlaps the filter just a little to prevent this. It's not really stuck to the filter so any airflow loss is negligible. You don't need to overlap it as much as shown here; I just did that for emphasis.

You're going to like this one! Everyone knows the 500 is a vibrating mofo and everyone knows about filling the bars with silicone. One day I had my subframe off and tossed it on the garage floor. It rang out like a tuning fork gone berserk. Hmmmmmmmm . . . . So I drilled a couple small holes and filled the subby with silicone. (I later realized that you can simply squirt the silicone in the various bolt inserts scattered throughout the subby. Oh well, live and learn.) It does help . . . a little. Not a lot; it's not the holy grail of vibration reduction but it does help just a touch.
(No photo for this mod.)

Morton, reporting for KXRiders, over and out.
Braaaapppppp!!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 10:23:28 AM by Chip Morton »

Offline 81cr450

Re: A few tiny tricks I do to my bike.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 11:59:31 AM »
That clutch cover mod looks right nice, I was wondering what to do for mine.

I really like these little tricks , when I used to subscibe to dirt rider in the late 80's early 90's I came across this one. Put a cross hatch in your levers, you can use a file or hacksaw to do it. It gives you a better grip but the part I like best about it is that it gives the lever a spot to break when you lay it down on a lever. Then your atleast left with a stub & it can save your mastercylinder as well. I dont want to spring for the unbreakable lever set up, so I just use this & it works.

if I only had a pair, I could actually ride this thing

& to the people I like  FYYFF

Offline fraz83

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 12:19:03 PM »
I put about a 3mm score in every clutch and brake lever i buy.. about 2'' from the end of the knob ... i should just invest in some asv levers

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 03:13:17 PM »
I like the clutch cover preventative patch. Looks better than a gob of jb weld that everyone seems to use after they crack their cover.
Mine has already been welded so if it happens again the crack will be somewhere else. If I ever need a new cover I will definitely do this mod. I crash a lot lol. Always pushing the limits of myself haven't found the K5's limits probably never will.
Thanks
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 03:34:50 PM »
I like the clutch cover mod and really like the tape on the filter lip!
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.

Offline 1989kawasaki

• my 89 cr250
    • youtube
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 06:59:59 PM »
i would do that clutch cover bit.... but not on the last brand new clutch cover i could find for my kx250
bikes

1977 RD400
1989 CR250
1988 CR500
1978 Z50
2009 Harley super glide custom

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 08:47:31 PM »
i think seeing as the 250 from 85 to 90 and 500 from at least 85 to 04 uses the same lower cradle shape its about time we had some wardy esque case saving bars bent as per Motorrads bike.the only difficulty here is making sure they clear the pipe being used as the pipes differ substantially and if you can you may as well make sure it protects the water pump whilst your at it.this is where pipe clearance becomes critical.gona look into this  a bit deeper,may need some pipe/water pump clearance measurements though.(Ironically, my millet wont allow use of these,but they're a good idea).K.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 09:49:33 PM »
Great mods and tips ! Even an old skool dirt bastard like me can learn something new and fresh ! Thanks for taking the time to share !
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline awak100

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 04:44:52 PM »
Hey dude next time you put a clutch pack on your 5, take your clutch housing to your nearest welder and have him weld your break on the inside.  Looks alot better then your patch.  I just cut my clutch and brake  levers off two fingers deep.  They dont stick out so far then.  Dont break them as often either

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 09:19:17 PM »
Hey dude next time you put a clutch pack on your 5, take your clutch housing to your nearest welder and have him weld your break on the inside.  Looks alot better then your patch.

Too risky. What happens if your brake lever wears through the case, and the welds on the inside are not 100% sealed ? Tranny fluid will leak, and now you need to weld again. What about possible metal to metal interference from the internal spinning clutch hub ? Sorry to pee all over your idea, but the brake pedal buffer on the outside is far more functional.  

I just cut my clutch and brake  levers off two fingers deep.  They dont stick out so far then.  Dont break them as often either

You must have gorilla finger strength, cause there is NO way I could ride a KX500 in the tight woods with a shory clutch lever ! Let alone stubby levers with the end balls sawed off.  My final tip to minimise broken /bent levers is to leave the pinch bolts loose. Tighten the pinch bolts so it takes a good whack with your palm to get them the perch assembly to rotate.  No more snapped levers, as the perch rotates upon a dirt impact.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 10:25:59 PM by Polar-Bus »
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline ben

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 03:54:32 AM »
I always pull out the clutch actuator arm and weld a 1 cm extension to it on every KX500 I have ever owned.  It makes the clutch pull a lot easier and less fatigue late in the moto.

I also lubricate the circular sliding windows on the airbox every once in a while so that I can easily open them when I ride, and close them when I wash the bike.   

Offline awak100

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 07:31:21 AM »
Well lets see dude I own 9 k5s and 3 of them Ive welded myself.  One I broke the others were broke already .  Ive been running one of them for like four years, doesnt leak at all.  I gues if you get some dumb ass to weld it then yes it will leak

Offline awak100

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 07:38:33 AM »
Guess I do have strong fingers I been doing it for years,  And da everbody leaves the levers a little loose.  And that patch looks like s**t.  I wont discrace my bike like that.  Weld the inside.  Grind it off pretty flush it wont hit the clutch basket.  I know what I'm takeing about.  When you own (9) K5's you learn alot. 

Motorrad

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2012, 08:36:01 AM »
I drink lots of red Bull... then pee in my gas..    gives the bike wings... (octane boost)    Added benefit... if you eat lots of fried food.. you dont have to add 2T oil  :-D

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2012, 12:20:31 AM »
I drink lots of red Bull... then pee in my gas..    gives the bike wings... (octane boost)    Added benefit... if you eat lots of fried food.. you dont have to add 2T oil  :-D
  Does this mean you had 9 Red Bulls?  And now you are a Bull God?  Please share some more.  I would really like to hear about all (9) of them.   :wink:
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.