Author Topic: Best way to remove bottom bearing from clutch actuation arm.  (Read 8115 times)

Offline tunster

Best way to remove bottom bearing from clutch actuation arm.
« on: January 17, 2011, 09:10:05 PM »
ok come on guys tell me the best way to get that little needle roller bearing out from my k5.I have pulled out the top one but my puller wont reach the lower bearing.Any tips or tricks or do i have to split it with a chisel?? :?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 06:37:23 AM by Danger4u2 »

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
I had to remove them from my 250. It can probably be done with a bolt, nut and washer. washer just small enough to pass thru, then push to one side before tightening or pulling. I wouldn't want to use a chisel or any of that because you don't want to chase needle bearings or races. I tried chasing around ideas and friends with lots of tools  or ideas, but after a week of hunting, I found the tool.
  Its called a blind hole bearing puller. A kid about twenty years old and with about that many piercings in his head, had it out in less than a minute. It spreads as you tighten it and is attached to a slide hammer. "Bap, bap, bap," it was out. That bearing doesn't need to be removed very often, so I didn't see a reason to buy one. 

Offline tunster

ive been looking for a blind hole bearing puller but as im a cheapskate i dont want to pay ?100 for something i wont use often.BUT i think i may try and borrow one.

Offline jonny500

ok, you can try the washer and bolt idea it dose work some times. i have a way that also some times works. you need to go to a builders merchant with you casing and find an anchor bolt like in the pic below, you may need to mod it with a grinder/file and some how attatch a slide hammer weldingg is good. befor tring to remove alway add some heat from gas torch, or stick it in the oven at around 150 (providing none of the seals in it are needed)

Offline Polar-Bus

Re: Best way to remove bottom bearing from clutch actuation arm.
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 07:42:24 AM »
You might not need an expensive blind bearing puller. Try this it won't cost you a dime to try.

1) place the clutch cover in the freezer over night.

2) quickly heat the case near the bearing

3) rap the case off a wood bench top and force the bearing to slide out of the bore.

you might need to do this a few times but the bearing should come out. I use the "freeze-n-heat" method on blind bearings all the time. Works awesome.

You can install bearings by reversing the method. Place the new bearing in the freezer overnight, then heat the bearing bore (or just place the whole case in the over at 300F) and the bearing should press in with your finger, or a light tap of a hammer)
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline don46

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 08:55:08 AM »
I use heat as well, haven't tried the freeze and heat methind on those bearings. Crank bearing installation get the freeze and heat method.

I had a blind bearing puller, unfortunately it wasn't long enough to reach the bottom bearing, as a result I built a longer version to do the same job.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline Purpletj

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 02:01:21 PM »
I picked up a blind bearing puller from harbor frieght. Love that place.

http://www.harborfreight.com/blind-hole-bearing-puller-95987.html
"When you sit with a nice girl for two hours, it seems like two minutes. When you sit on a hot stove for two minutes, it seems like two hours. That's relativity." -- Albert Einstein

Offline tunster

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 04:24:13 AM »
a couple of great ideas there worthy of a tryout.Think i might suggest we eat some food from the freezer tonight[as its pretty full and im gonna need some space!]i did wonder about the builders bolt thing and i could try it on the old top bearing first to get a good fit.Also that slide hammer and price look great but dont know what the total cost would be by the time ive had it shipped to the uk? Great ideas keep em coming!! :wink:

Offline tunster

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 06:49:07 AM »
on closer inspection tonight i thought i might try the bolt idea.Found a good fit wall plug bolt but the top of the bearing lip has gone and all im left with is the outer edge of the bearing case so i dont think it will work  :?as theres nothing to grip under.More ideas guys????

Offline tecatedan

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 12:57:58 PM »
I have the same question and was looking at the blind hole puller from HF but I don't think it goes small enough?? has anyone bought one and tried it?

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 01:20:50 PM »
Shop I worked in had a LARGE Co2 extinguisher for freezing stuff. Put it in a box, spray it down and cover it. About 5 minutes later it was frozen. Fire departments regularly have turned in extinguishers. Some will let you spray them out.
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 01:22:21 PM »
I did a review on a blind bearing puller from Motion Pro:
http://www.oem-cycle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=64
I like it a lot as it has saved me hours of dinking around and a lot of cash on broken parts  :lol:
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline tecatedan

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 04:51:27 AM »
That kit looks sweet!!!! wht did it cost you? got a part number?

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 05:06:06 AM »
MOTION PRO BLIND BEARING REMOVAL SET P/N 08-0292
$249.95 (List)
$230.00 (Our Price delivered in the States)
It's not a cheap tool but one broken case will more then pay for it.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.