Author Topic: The wonderful smell of 2 smoke  (Read 4048 times)

i_duddits

The wonderful smell of 2 smoke
« on: June 18, 2004, 02:59:29 AM »
So what 2 stroke oil do we think smells best?
a) A747
b) Scented Ipone (strawberry) Premix
c) Other

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2004, 03:12:31 AM »
Power Plus but it's protection factor doesn't live up to Maxima's. :roll:

i_duddits

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2004, 03:20:56 AM »
Who makes that? Is it a castor based 2 stroke? Smell good yea?
I've heard castor oil has superior lubricating properties, if they're that great, why don't we all just buy a bottle from a drug store and use it neat @ 40:1? Is there an issue with "gelling"?

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2004, 03:30:44 AM »
A couple things:

1. Power Plus is a 100% synthetic manufactured by Manhattan Oil and it smells like cherry.
2. Castor is a big ol' no no unless you're tearing your stuff down after every race, the carbon build up on the powervalves and in the ring grooves is like diamond. It's that hard. The lubrication qualities of Castor based oils like Maxima 927 is no longer superior to non-castor oils. The synthetics and even semi-synthetics are better and cleaner burning than castor.
3. Maixma Super M is a low smoke, low ash, semi-synthetic that leaves no carbon in the cylinder, ring grooves, or power valves of any 2 stroke I've owned or torn down that runs it.

I'm not a big fan of the smell of burning oil :roll:

i_duddits

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004, 03:42:19 AM »
Just found it, don't think I'll be able to get it sent to me here in the UK.
This, from what I can make out is our equal:
http://www.bvm-moto.co.uk/oilsetc.htm

What do you think of these prices?

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2004, 05:58:53 AM »
Quote from: Paul
A couple things:

1. Power Plus is a 100% synthetic manufactured by Manhattan Oil and it smells like cherry.
2. Castor is a big ol' no no unless you're tearing your stuff down after every race, the carbon build up on the powervalves and in the ring grooves is like diamond. It's that hard. The lubrication qualities of Castor based oils like Maxima 927 is no longer superior to non-castor oils. The synthetics and even semi-synthetics are better and cleaner burning than castor.
3. Maixma Super M is a low smoke, low ash, semi-synthetic that leaves no carbon in the cylinder, ring grooves, or power valves of any 2 stroke I've owned or torn down that runs it.

I'm not a big fan of the smell of burning oil :roll:

I've always run Super Tech by Klotz which is 20% castor. Which seems to do fine, I have more "spooge" than say Bel Ray or Kawasaki. But, none the less, never had any problems with excessive carbon or chrystaling.

Stuff like Super M scare me, as I've never been easy on motors and do not rebuild as often as many, there for I've always run 32:1 in everything I've ever owned also using a castor based oils. I've 80% of the time used leaded gasoline. But, that depends on the bike, usally anything I own with a motor size of 250cc's and up. 125's can handle 93 pump and do it just fine.

I rebuild my 125s once a year at mininum, my 250's every other year, and my 500, I have yet to decide. So far, I've had no cold/hot seizures. The only problem I've run into with 125's is you have to rebuild the crank every so often, so I used to get Eric Gorr to rebuild the cranks with the motors, but now I just order new total cranks from wiseco with the rebuild.

All my bikes usally take a hell of a beating, but considering I can only ride one at a time, I usally just take groups out riding, who baby them, but I pick and choose which one I want to thrash every few days. :-) Mainly, lately, the 500.. Well, before my d**n break.

Maybe I'm just lucky to not worry about too much maintanance or maybe I'm just plain stupid. But castor so far has been decent for me. In which I g out riding with buddies, I usally use 2 quarts of oil, 10 gallons of race fuel, and about 5-10 gallons of 93, a week. If we are riding often. Which is about every week. So, I usally keep a huge stock of oil. So, I have about 5 gallons more of 2 stroke oil before I change, but I'm open to try new ideas, if anybody has any.

mikesmith

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2004, 07:01:21 AM »
I'm not a big fan of the smell of burning oil :roll:[/quote]                          Well thats what those 4-strokes smelled like at the Hangtown national,burnt oil!

Offline John

• http://www.hallbergs.net
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2004, 03:42:46 AM »
When it comes to smell nothing beats castor oil. It brings me back to my childhood years of model plains and wrecks...

//John

mikesmith

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2004, 08:33:05 AM »
Id dump my 927 mix that had been sitting around to long to run in my bike in the lawn mower.Made mowing the lawn remind me of riding,it smelled good!

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2004, 08:06:31 AM »
I love the smell of castor oil. Brings me back to the minibike days when the "old" guys were racing CZ's, Bultacos etc.  However, nothing would make me switch from a fully synthetic oil, Belray H1-R in my case but lots of brands are really good.  Mike, do those 4-stroke start burning oil in a hard race?  I'm curious as I have never been around any being run very hard. Cam.

mikesmith

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2004, 06:56:49 PM »
Well most of them burn oil when run hard for some time,thats why you need to check the oil often if you ride hard or far, and the CRF riders should carry extra oil on long rides.I can tell you it smelled of burnt oil at the Hangtown national MX race and it was like 98% four-strokes at that race!

FastKX500

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2004, 08:47:52 AM »
best smelling oil is http://www.klotzlube.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=KS&Product_Code=BeNOL&Category_Code=MC_RACING benol....smells just like a professional race, racing oil owns. Its the red s**t :p

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2004, 05:48:55 PM »
Quote from: FastKX500
smells just like a professional race, racing oil owns. Its the red s**t :p

Just grab a can of BP Spirits or C12, usally that is what race bikes are running and the smell is coming from.