Author Topic: Power Valve Operating Rod Problem  (Read 1698 times)

Offline T1

Power Valve Operating Rod Problem
« on: October 17, 2020, 06:57:51 AM »
Hello
I just had my Cylinder replated and had the power valve cleaned and serviced by a reputable company. I put the top end all back together and was hooking the arm up from the governor to the valve operating rod and am having a problem with the power valves not opening and closing all the way. The operating rod was pushed in all the way towards the cylinder when I received it back from servicing. When I tightened the governor arm nut it pulled the operating rod out and now will not push back in all the way. I unhooked the governor arm and operated the valve operating rod several times and it didn’t make any difference and will not go back in all the way like when I received it back after servicing. The operating rod stops about 5/8” from the face of the governor casting in the cylinder wall when being pushed in towards the cylinder. I looked through the exhaust opening and can see that the valves are opening and closing but they stop shy of being flush of the inside cylinder wall. Any advice would be great. 1992 Kx500, first time I have done a top end, maybe I am missing something.

Thanks

Offline kxpegger

Re: Power Valve Operating Rod Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 02:25:10 AM »
Odd problem! Maybe some debris caught between the rod and power valve gears or some kind of damage. Sounds like the cylinder needs to come off so you can have a look at the entire assembly?
North Las Vegas

"05" RMZ450, "08" KX500AF "11" KTM 450SX-F "12" KTM 250SX "15" KTM450SX-F

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 06:31:40 AM »
Loosen all 4 cylinder base nuts.
Try to move the rod again.
If it moves freely with the base nuts loose, let us know.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline T1

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 11:34:25 AM »
Well I fixed the issue with the power valve operating rod. I pulled the cylinder and put it on my work bench, the operating rod still wouldn’t push in all the way. I watched a “YouTube” video on the Kx500 power valve system, which was awesome. When I got the cylinder back from being replated and power valve system serviced,  the technician had the two “drums” swapped. The “drum” with the indention line on the shaft was on the left side and the “drum” with no indention line was on the right. This would be with the cylinder upside down and the exhaust port facing toward you. Once I flipped them around, indention “drum” right side and non indention “drum” left side it worked perfectly. Super annoyed that this wasn’t bench tested before it was sent back to me. There’s no way this ever operated correctly when the vendor rebuilt it. I didn’t catch this until the cylinder was re installed and everything hooked up, lesson learned. Thanks for the help!!!!

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 05:42:49 PM »
Who did the work?

Which vid did you use?
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline T1

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 02:17:05 AM »
Millennium Technologies replated the cylinder and serviced the power valve system.

I used this video from YouTube
https://youtu.be/sjTFXqWl3n0

I’m not here to bad mouth anyone, however I was disappointed with the power valve rebuild they did. They did do a great job replating the cylinder and the power valve system was clean and lubricated when I disassembled it, just wasn’t assembled correctly. I learned how to disassemble and reassemble the KIPS, so some good came out of it.