Author Topic: rear suspension  (Read 4386 times)

Offline 91kawifive00

rear suspension
« on: July 20, 2011, 03:04:03 AM »
whats going on fellas.. i just noticed after looking at some pics of members bikes that my 500 is lower in the rear than it should be. the rear shock isnt blown nore is the spring all the way up. it rides great and im very comfy on it but i would  love that extra travel and ride hight you know lol. i replaced the shock that originally came on it it was leaking like a sob. its not low like n ice bike i really didnt notice it till i compared my bike to to others. only thing i can think of is maybe the last owner changed the linkage? what do you guys think?

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: rear suspension
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 03:30:19 AM »
Measure the distance from the top of your tire the the inside top of your rear fender and post it.
Since your bike seems to handle good what you may be seeing is some guys have done the rear fender mod which can make it appear to have more travel but in reality it's exactly the same.
Also, post a pic of your bike.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 04:18:28 AM »
whats going on fellas.. i just noticed after looking at some pics of members bikes that my 500 is lower in the rear than it should be. the rear shock isnt blown nore is the spring all the way up. it rides great and im very comfy on it but i would  love that extra travel and ride hight you know lol. i replaced the shock that originally came on it it was leaking like a sob. its not low like n ice bike i really didnt notice it till i compared my bike to to others. only thing i can think of is maybe the last owner changed the linkage? what do you guys think?

You are confusing the crap out of me. We need pics. For starters set the bike on a bike stand, draw a reference line on the rear fender. Measure the distance from  the line to the rear wheel axle bolt . Now remove the bike from the stand, sit on the bike with full gear on and measure again. The difference between the two measurements should be 3.75"-4"  . This is called race sag. Very important suspension setting.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 06:07:10 AM by Polar-Bus »
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline 91kawifive00

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 04:28:31 AM »
Measure the distance from the top of your tire the the inside top of your rear fender and post it.
Since your bike seems to handle good what you may be seeing is some guys have done the rear fender mod which can make it appear to have more travel but in reality it's exactly the same.
Also, post a pic of your bike.

i will measure that when i get home and post it. i have seen the fender mod but with the stock fender my bike still looks noticeably
shorter. i dont know how to post pics i would be glad to do so if i can get some guidence threw it.

Offline 91kawifive00

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 04:33:18 AM »

You are confusing the crap out of me. We need pics. For starters set the bike on a bike stand, draw a reference line on the rear fender. Measure the distance . Now remove the bike from the stand, sit on the bike with full gear on and measure again. The difference between the two measurements should be 3.75"-4"  . This is called race sag. Very important suspension setting.

lol. sorry for the confusion. i havent checked my race sag i will check it out when i get home and post it. i would love to post pics just not sure how to do so.

Offline 91kawifive00

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 10:22:27 AM »
ok guys i got the info requested to help me out.

axel to fender straight up in the same spot each time:

on the stand 24 1/2"

off stand 21 1/2"

sitting on bike 18 3/4"

top of tire to bottom of fender on 19" rim:

on the stand 14 1/2"

bike off the stand 12"

the help is greatly appriciated  :-)

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 09:00:21 PM »
ok guys i got the info requested to help me out.

axel to fender straight up in the same spot each time:

on the stand 24 1/2"

off stand 21 1/2"

sitting on bike 18 3/4"

top of tire to bottom of fender on 19" rim:

on the stand 14 1/2"

bike off the stand 12"

the help is greatly appriciated  :-)

You currently have 5.75" of race sag. Thats way too much. Your need to increase the shock spring preload until you achieve the desired 4" of sag. If you keep increasing preload and the sag dimension does not change, you need a stiffer rated spring .
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1

Offline 91kawifive00

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 01:07:57 AM »
cool thanks.. i will try and get it within the 4 inch of sag today after work.. if i run it all the way down and its still not in the 4" i need a new spring lol.  maybe thats y the bike seems to sit lower than it should.. i put a new shock in it but the spring may be clapped out. i appriciate the help..

Offline 91kawifive00

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 01:28:13 AM »
i got a feeling i might need that heavier spring.. does anybody know where i can purchase one?

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 02:37:07 AM »
i got a feeling i might need that heavier spring.. does anybody know where i can purchase one?

Been dealing with FC for years excellent service !

http://www.factoryconnection.com/index2.htm
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1

Offline 91kawifive00

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 02:41:09 AM »

thanks alot buddy.. i really appriciate the help :-)

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 09:31:04 PM »

thanks alot buddy.. i really appriciate the help :-)

Most MX bikes are sprung around a 175 lb rider . If you are say more than 20 lbs beyond that weight you generally need a re-spring. I also suggest if you are going the rear spring, anti up the bucks and buy matching front fork springs. KX front forks have always been sprung on the soft side...
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1

Offline 91kawifive00

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 03:01:30 AM »
i was able to get the bike within the 4' of race sag. haven't took it out yet to feel the difference. i'm sure i am gonna have to mess with the clickers a bit but very interested to feel the outcome. but i think this winter i'm gonna send the suspension out. i rode my buddies kx250 he has her all revalved and such, we are about the same weight   and man what a world of a difference :-o