Author Topic: '93 KX-250 Fender to '04 KX-500  (Read 3751 times)

toddwunsch

'93 KX-250 Fender to '04 KX-500
« on: June 29, 2004, 11:32:11 AM »
OK, the first time I tried this I chalked it up to either an error in ordering or an error from shipping.  So I ordered a second one.  Now either I'm getting crazy or my supplier (Dennis Kirk) is nuts.

I understand that you need to make some modifications to the rear fender to make it fit properly.  I have my handy dremel tool and bench grinder all warmed up for this.  But this fender sent to me twice by Dennis Kirk does not fit the two arms on the sub frame.  Where the '04 fender runs in smooth to the sub frame, the 250 fender I purchased does not.  Let's assume that I've already modified the front part of the fender to fit around the silencer, pipe, and air box.  When you go to slide it into the sub frame, it simply stops short and the sub frame arms hit a small outcropping (for lack of better words) in the rear fender.  

Does anyone know what I'm talking about or do I need to send pictures.  

By the way, I have had no problem ordering after market stock 500 fenders.  They all fit perfect.

toddwunsch

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2004, 08:22:40 AM »
Hmmm... OK.  I guess I'll take some pictures and get back with you guys.

michaelsmith

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2004, 10:01:28 PM »
Theres an old post on making that fender fit,and they say its not to easy to fit.I havent done it so Im not much help.

SLEEZ

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2004, 04:11:32 AM »
They won't line up, you'll have to drill new holes.

rradar

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2004, 05:15:29 AM »
I put one on a 1990 K5. After trimming all the required areas it slid into the subframe nicely after squeezing the fender somewhat. The rear holes lined up perfectly with the subframe mounts and the fender came to rest against the seat;however, there is a small gap between the fender area that was trimmed off of the front and the air box. The front holes in the fender did not line up with the airbox/fender holes. I used 2 zip ties to secure the front part of the fender to the upper subframe by the air box. I was thinking about sheet metal screws & washers but I didn't want to put more holes into my subframe yet. The zip's were supposed to be a temporary fix, but the fender is very secure as is. What have others been doing about the gap between the fender and the airbox? So far no water or mud has been able to get around the fender and into the airbox, but I'm sure that sand will find a way around that. I figured that if I drilled new holes in the sides of the fender, I wouldn't get a clean seat/fender junction...my story, pix on page 4 in gallery.

rradar

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2004, 05:57:30 AM »
...To continue on the above, I found that if I matched the airbox holes of the fender to the airbox mounts, the rear portion of the seat would ride too far back on the fender-past the molded junction area-to fit properly where the seat meets the fender (seat would ride up on top of the fender, not resting in the molded area). In that case, I couldn't get a nice fit even if I drilled new holes for the rear subframe mounts. By reading other posts, it sounds like everybody is concentrating on making the pre-drilled airbox joles line up and drilling new rear holes to make the fender fit. Waiting on a new fender to try that route once again.....

Rick

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2004, 07:54:21 AM »
Yup, that seat is a bear to get in place the first time.  I think someone once explained that you need to get your biggest buddy...holding his big dog...to sit on the seat while you install the seat bolts the first time.  After that first installation, the seat falls right into place just like it should.  

Rick