Author Topic: Rejet with V-Force???  (Read 3651 times)

Offline bilger69

• 99 Kx500
Rejet with V-Force???
« on: May 23, 2011, 09:36:58 AM »
I have a new set of VF3's on the way im switchin out the clapped out stockers becuse i was gettin blowback in my intake boot....anyway i was wondering if rejetting is required when boltin up the new Vforce 3 system????....Im runnin stock Keihin for the 1999 K5....45 Pilot, 172 Main, Float properly adjusted...plugs always come out golden brown so far. sometimes black but never fouled a plug once.............................also throttle slide has a #8 on it...aint it supposed to say #7?    Thanks all!

Offline bilger69

• 99 Kx500
Re: Rejet with V-Force???
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 05:54:47 PM »
Any idears fellow kawi masters?

Motorrad

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 02:39:46 AM »
no rejet needed...  tweek of the air screw possibly..

On my phone...  standing under an oak tree at the moment...  (Im out Excersising my Triumph thismorning)

Will give a better responce later.

Just keep an eye out for Blowback...   

some of us have had issues with that.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 02:45:25 AM by Motorrad »

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 12:01:35 PM »
 Hey Bilger,
  Most KX 5's came stock with a #7 slide.
 The Slides aren't cheap, the last new one I bought was about $100 shipped.
 They are just another tool used to tune your bike,
Here's a little bit about slides I got from an article in MXA
  Tuck\o/

When you spray a bike with a garden hose,  you use your thumb to modulate the spray. If you squeeze your thumb over the tip, the water shoots out harder, faster and farther.
  A carburetor?s slide works just like a thumb over the open end of a hose. Just as you increase the force of the water by decreasing the size of the opening, the same can be done with the fuel flowing through a carb.

HOW'S MY CARB LIKE A GARDEN HOSE?

From the crack of the throttle through 1/4 throttle openings, the slide cutaway determines how much fuel flows into the engine. It doesn't do this by allowing more air into the engine--that duty is handled by the straight, front edge of the slide. It does it by changing the velocity at which the air streaks under the slide; just like you do with your thumb over the hose.

AND THE VELOCITY DOES WHAT?

The velocity of the air draws gas through the pilot and needle circuit. Since there isn't much air velocity at small slide openings, a cutaway is used to create more air force.
  A large cutaway results in less velocity, less fuel and a leaner mixture.
A smaller cutaway increases the velocity of the air and pulls more fuel producing a richer mixture.

DOES THE SHAPE OF THE SLIDE MAKE A DIFFERENCE?
Pre-'85 vintage bikes and a few of the new minicycles, 60s and 50s use carburetors with round carburetor slides. All current, full-size motocross bikes use D-, flat- or elliptic-shaped slides.

ARE ELLIPTICAL SLIDES BETTER THAN ROUND SLIDES?

Yes. Why?  Here are six good reasons:

(1) Smoother venturi shape: Shortening  the fore-to-aft thickness of the slide reduces the amount of the sharp machined edges where the slide and carburetor bores intersect.

(2) Improved slide physics: Turbulence is reduced by shortening the distance the air travels as it slingshots around the rough bottom edges of the slide.

(3) Lighter action: The new slide shapes are lighter and have much less surface stiction.

(4) Improved seal: Less stiction allows for a tighter fitting slide. A tighter slide reduces blow by and effects more precise jetting.

(5) Improved jet layout: A more harmonious relationship between the position and the flow of fuel from the mixture screw, pilot, needle and main jet circuits.

(6) Reduced carb length: The squashed slide valve results in a slimmer carb that positions the fuel circuits closer to the cylinder's induction system.

All six aspects add up to a less traumatized fuel flow and a bike that accelerates harder.

More than you probably wanted to know,
  Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline bilger69

• 99 Kx500
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 01:31:54 AM »
Thanks alot motorrad and friar tuck!   Thats good to hear thanks for the reply and friar tuck thank you for the gobs of info!  I have to read that a few times to process it all hahaha.     I    Do have one more  question though.........the stock reed cage on the gasket surface the top as it is sitting in thr motor are flat sides but the bottom half are angled from the middle bolt to the bottom edge. The vforce i just got has a vforce emblem on the top but if installed as supposed to with stock the tab would be upside down??

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 02:59:55 AM »
 Hey 69er,
 There have been several posts dealing with how to get the V-2's to fit, and they all had to be sanded down and cut to fit properly.
  This (understandably) ticked off the guys account what they paid for the item and still had to spend an hour cutting and fitting the part called out for their bike.   I'm looking for posts on the V-3 and will get back to you if I find any.

I can tell you I had the v-2's on my CR500 and had to do quite a bit of carving to get it to fit properly also.

Tuck\o/

Offline bilger69

• 99 Kx500
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 02:49:26 PM »
Hey thanks alot friar tuck i appreciate the reply. I cant quite explain on her what i mean though. I have the reeds in but sm questioning wheter or not i have them upside down snd if it even matters. Ill give a more descriptive question tomoro if i have time. Otherwise if you or any one on this site could give me a call that used the vf3s at 814-470-1424 thanks everyone.

Offline bilger69

• 99 Kx500
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 08:05:02 AM »
alrighty i have to try to post some pics but anyway the vforce reed block has a emblem tab the says VFORCE on the TOP edge of the Block when installed on the cylinder. in reference to where that is and where the STOCK Block GASKET SURFACE IS SHAPED THE VFORCE EMBLEM TAB WOULD BE ON THE BOTTOM... the reed block can be placed in either way, but the way i installed it was the way the surface looked stock so the VFORCE EMBLEM TAB is actually ON Bottom, and obviously upside down. The reeds seem to work great though, alot better than my old ones.    BASICALLY WHAT IM ASKIN IS DO THE VFORCE REEDS MATTER WHAT FACES UP?????????? IT SEEMS WHETEHER THEY ARE IN ONE WAY OR 180 DEGREES IT DOESNT MATTER??????...............................THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 11:04:24 AM »
 Hey 69er,
  This is one of the longer threads I found with really no definitive answer.
http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,5709.msg43672/topicseen.html#msg43672

and one about fitment: http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,7209.0.html

Tuck\o/
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 02:16:51 PM by Friar-Tuck »

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 11:53:35 PM »
Never tried VForces on a MX bike , but I did add them to my Polaris snowmobile years ago. Not worth the money IMO.  All's the VForce's did was add some crisp throttle response in the midrange. No rejet required.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 04:16:55 AM »

Offline Fireypoop

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 02:06:27 AM »
Well i can tell you that the v3 dropped right in no issues. Now I only need to figure out the slipping kickstart and the flooding engine. No biggie lol.