Author Topic: 92 K5 with PSI Pipe and Porting question  (Read 2333 times)

Offline SteelHorse751

92 K5 with PSI Pipe and Porting question
« on: July 16, 2011, 02:55:19 AM »
 Hey all!

Glad I finallly was invited to join your group.

Once I get home next month on R&R, I will be going to look at a 92 K5 that one of the guys in the club I belong to has.

Most of the info I will need to look for when checking things out, I have found on KXRIDERS while waiting to become a member.

About the only question I haven't found an answer to is about the Porting. It was done by PSI back in the 90s from what I can gather and also has a PSI pipe on it. Anyone know about PSI Porting?

I did find a few old threads about the Pipe, but dealing with the porting I haven't had any luck yet.

Should be a new KX500 owner in less than a month now!

Thank you

Motorrad

Re: 92 K5 with PSI Pipe and Porting question
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 05:36:04 AM »
Welcome.. Sorry for the delay..   we had some major Hacking/Spam issues for a while..

Offline SteelHorse751

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 05:47:57 AM »
 Thank you.

I totally understand and I am glad to be here and a future owner of a KX500.

I decided I wanted to get either a KX500 or CR500 to race EVO/GP class motocross. After finding this site and getting a lead on a good KX500, I knew there is a lot of potential in the KX500 and would fill my need well.

Thanks again for the welcome.

Motorrad

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 05:54:07 AM »
Cant say I know much about what PSI did for port work...   I didnt even know they did...  :|

Evo class motocross huh.     There are a few things you can do to get the Big K5 (desert machine) to go around a track..   

where in the country will you be racing when you get home?   
(thank you for Doing what your doing for us By the way! )

Offline SteelHorse751

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 06:12:06 AM »
 As for racing, it will be mainly around the Cental Texas area (Waco/Dallas/Austin). Most of the races are around the Dallas area. There seems to be a big EVO group in the Houston area as well.  EVO might be a little earlier vintage bike, so I would be running mainly what they call Decade or Grand Prix Class.

I found a few mods on here that look like they will help. KX250 Triple clamps, raising the forks and I think shortening the dog bones a little. Plus a technique about weighting the pegs a little differently than you would normally do.

Lots of good KX info on here!

I know from what I have read so far, it doesn't seem like too many KX500 riders Motocross thier bikes, but I think with some help from the guys here and lots of practice, it should work and be fun at the same time

As for the Military, I am retired now and working 'with" soldiers rather than being one. Still good to be around them, only this time working from the outside.

Offline SteelHorse751

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 06:21:11 AM »
 I should add that watching old videos from the 80s and early 90s of Jobe, Larocco (94 MXDN) Ward (89 MXDN and 92 Washougal) and a few others are what set the hook for me wanting a KX500.

As for my oringinal question about the PSI porting, the guy who has the bike now talked to the original owner and he had the porting done to "make the bike more ridable".

Anyway, I was just hoping someone might have knoweldge of PSI's work and kind of help fill in the missing peice of information.

I will give a report next month when I get to see and ride the bike.

Thanks

Offline crazyolbastard

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 07:32:19 AM »
Welcome,

I have a 91 and if your soon to be 92 is anything like mine,
Porting or not,  you`re in for the ride of a lifetime.
These big bores are monsters to hold onto.
Make sure you respect the power of a 500.
I learned the hard way and bruised more than my ego after I got tossed off the back of it.
 :roll:
Have a blast with your new bike.

Out
COB
Crazy Ol Bastard

Offline SteelHorse751

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 02:33:27 PM »
 Thank you crazyoldbastard!

That is the one thing I do remember when I raced the Open bikes a long time ago....respect!

The KX500 is going to be a "new" ride for me having never rode a water cooled/disc braked Open Bike.
 I quit racing in the early 80s with my last bike being a 490 Maico. Before that I had a KX420 that I raced before I got the Maico.

The good thing is I still remember what it was like racing the Open Bikes, and being over here I have a good gym (not much else). So once I decided to start racing again and get the KX500, it was good motivation to hit it (the gym). Kind of like enforced 'off season training' if you will.

But as you said....be ready!

I wish I had a reference on the "stock" KX500 engine (have all ready ridden one). Then I could report as to what the bike felt like with the engine work that has been done to it.

( Edit: I have not ridden a KX500 yet. Was trying to say I wish I had so I would have a frame of reference as to what the porting actually did to the power band. Thanks)

The good thing for me is the guy who originally had the bike was a motocrosser. So I am guessing that the work he had done to it was to make the bikes power better suited for a motocross track.

Either way, I guess I'll see next month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you.

Welcome,

I have a 91 and if your soon to be 92 is anything like mine,
Porting or not,  you`re in for the ride of a lifetime.
These big bores are monsters to hold onto.
Make sure you respect the power of a 500.
I learned the hard way and bruised more than my ego after I got tossed off the back of it.
 :roll:
Have a blast with your new bike.

Out
COB
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 05:27:53 AM by SteelHorse751 »