Author Topic: Uni woke bike up  (Read 2539 times)

Offline bilger69

• 99 Kx500
Uni woke bike up
« on: June 27, 2011, 02:36:42 PM »
I threw a uni filter in my bike today and i thought it would run the same as the stock filter that has been in it being it is a 2 piece element. But i was surprised how much better it ran it was more aggressive than before. Love the filter. Has anyone else experienced this or am i losin my mind?       

Offline Polar-Bus

Re: Uni woke bike up
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 09:50:27 PM »
I threw a uni filter in my bike today and i thought it would run the same as the stock filter that has been in it being it is a 2 piece element. But i was surprised how much better it ran it was more aggressive than before. Love the filter. Has anyone else experienced this or am i losin my mind?       

You probably had a "rotted" OEM filter that needed to be replaced. Kawi OEM filters are kinda' flimsy and not very strong. UNI's are a much better quality 2 stage filter. Always make sure you grease the face of the mating flange of the filter for a good seal. (just some FYI if you didn't already know) Many people don't do this and dirt can get sucked past the filter and your crank will go squeek....boom !   :?
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline bilger69

• 99 Kx500
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 11:12:43 AM »
Thanks polar bus!    Yeah thats very true.    I heard of that but wat should i use for the grease groove.  I hsve been wonderin what you should use on that surface?      And are puttin in those little air holes with the mini filters in the air box for more airflow woyld be a good performance idea. Any suggestions?

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 01:25:47 PM »
Thanks polar bus!    Yeah thats very true.    I heard of that but wat should i use for the grease groove.  I hsve been wonderin what you should use on that surface?      And are puttin in those little air holes with the mini filters in the air box for more airflow woyld be a good performance idea. Any suggestions?

Use any type of thick grease. As for those mini foam inserts do NOT use them ! Also keep the airbox vents closed ! Opening the airbox does nothing for increased flow, but allows for far more mud and water to enter the airbox..
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline bilger69

• 99 Kx500
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 01:53:41 PM »
ok thanks again polar-bus. i greased er up with some all purpose thick grease.  i didnt know that about the airbox openers i woulda thought it would increase flow. i guess ya learn somethin new everyday!

Offline crazyolbastard

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 07:37:59 AM »
When I got my hands on my k5 it already had some holes drilled in the air box.
Is it a good idea to close them up?
Whatca guys think?
Crazy Ol Bastard