Author Topic: Bike acting funny???  (Read 4970 times)

Offline MinitubbedvegA

• The Bullet
Bike acting funny???
« on: June 26, 2011, 02:39:27 PM »
Well I went out today to ride with some buddies, and as soon as I took the bike out it was acting funny. Only thing I did different today was that instead of letting the bike idle for a few mins on the stand, I got on it after 20 seconds or so, and putted around the offloading area, because I didn't have my stand. As soon as I came back around I noticed the bike was idling funny. It was real high, and when I would wack it open in 4th it would back fire through the exhaust once every so often. Maybe 8 back fires in 3 hours of riding. I messed with the carb, and it fixed the idle, but still had issues on top. I had just changed the oil, and cleaned the filter on it Saturday. After the oil change I only rode it down the street and back before putting it up, but it was running fine. I can't see it going from running fine to having problems over night, unless it is something small in the carb??
But it also idles a lil "weaker" now, before if you had your hand behind the silencer it would blow it back at idle, but not now. My reed spacers should be here tomorrow, so I will tear down the carb aswell, and see what I can find.

Thinking that it might be time for a topend here soon, I've had the bike for a month, and ride atleast 12 hours a week, and I ride hard, wondering how long you all get out of a topend??

I run 93 octane with Super M at 40:1, Notoil filter FMF Gnarly. Bike has never had any issue's.
Any Idears?

Offline sniper1

Re: Bike acting funny???
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 03:40:24 PM »
        Check to see if some springs have broken on the pipe and check for oil coming out where the pipe pushes into the jug I seen a guy have similar problems with a leaky pipe due to springs coming off and no HTV sealant it's worth a look.

Another thing it may be is you might have sucked a reed or chipped one that will make it run like that too I had a rad valve and it was famous for sucking reeds at the dunes wide open no reed stops and it would break them off from time to time hope this helps.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 05:24:33 PM by sniper1 »
Just an old guy that enjoys going fast, I was in the army for 6 years and bought my first K5 when I returned from basic training. I raced a yz60 from age 6 to 8  a kx80 from 8 to 12  a kx125 from 12-17 intermediate class on k5 which I've owned 3.

Motorrad

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 04:30:35 PM »
I had just changed the oil, and cleaned the filter on it Saturday

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 09:20:01 PM »
Well I went out today to ride with some buddies, and as soon as I took the bike out it was acting funny. Only thing I did different today was that instead of letting the bike idle for a few mins on the stand, I got on it after 20 seconds or so, and putted around the offloading area, because I didn't have my stand. As soon as I came back around I noticed the bike was idling funny. It was real high, and when I would wack it open in 4th it would back fire through the exhaust once every so often. Maybe 8 back fires in 3 hours of riding. I messed with the carb, and it fixed the idle, but still had issues on top. I had just changed the oil, and cleaned the filter on it Saturday. After the oil change I only rode it down the street and back before putting it up, but it was running fine. I can't see it going from running fine to having problems over night, unless it is something small in the carb??
But it also idles a lil "weaker" now, before if you had your hand behind the silencer it would blow it back at idle, but not now. My reed spacers should be here tomorrow, so I will tear down the carb aswell, and see what I can find.

Thinking that it might be time for a topend here soon, I've had the bike for a month, and ride atleast 12 hours a week, and I ride hard, wondering how long you all get out of a topend??

I run 93 octane with Super M at 40:1, Notoil filter FMF Gnarly. Bike has never had any issue's.
Any Idears?

I'm thinking two things... are you running Ethanol fuel ? Is there old gas in the tank ? Ethanol causes MAJOR issues when left in your tank for months. Might be a spooge clogged carb. Second, is a worn out top end. Is your bike hard to start hot or cold ? Foul plugs easily ? These are all tell tale signs you have weak compression. I always recommend a simple compression test first.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline MinitubbedvegA

• The Bullet
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 04:43:50 AM »
        Check to see if some springs have broken on the pipe and check for oil coming out where the pipe pushes into the jug I seen a guy have similar problems with a leaky pipe due to springs coming off and no HTV sealant it's worth a look.

Another thing it may be is you might have sucked a reed or chipped one that will make it run like that too I had a rad valve and it was famous for sucking reeds at the dunes wide open no reed stops and it would break them off from time to time hope this helps.

The springs look good, I need to check how good the pipe is sealed to the head. The rreds are the first thing I thought of when it happened. Because it seems to run on a lil longer when the throttle is closed. I am going to pull the carb off and clean it, and check all that. Tracking numbers show my reed spacer should be here today!!! :mrgreen:

I'm thinking two things... are you running Ethanol fuel ? Is there old gas in the tank ? Ethanol causes MAJOR issues when left in your tank for months. Might be a spooge clogged carb. Second, is a worn out top end. Is your bike hard to start hot or cold ? Foul plugs easily ? These are all tell tale signs you have weak compression. I always recommend a simple compression test first.
I am running crappy 10% ethanol fuel from the pump, but I have been for the last month as well with no issues, Definetly not any old fuel in it though.
The topend seems tight still, I am still running the same plug that was in the bike when I bought it, and the bike fires right up every time.

For what its worth I did notice the bike wasn't smoking while it was warming up as it usually does while idleing.I had filled the tank up on Sat., because we were supposed to ride, but didnt. I am sure that the 15 mile truck ride would've mixed the fuel back up enough though, right?

Offline MinitubbedvegA

• The Bullet
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 04:45:12 AM »
Thanks for all the help, and idea's so far guys!

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 06:01:56 AM »
The topend seems tight still,

Your just speculating on the condition of the top end. I strongly suggest a compression check. A fresh top end will yield approx 160 psi . You would be amazed at how many members here posted they "felt" they had great compression, then after a true test with a guage, their compression was only about 110 psi which means top end issues .
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline MinitubbedvegA

• The Bullet
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 07:18:00 AM »
Oh indeed that is true. I am fixing to do some paint touch up on it, so I will do a comp check. I tried one on it Friday, just for fun, but the comp checker was hitting the tank when I tried to put it in. 

Motorrad

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 07:21:30 AM »
I had just  cleaned the filter on it Saturday.

Too much oil.

Offline don46

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 07:54:34 AM »
I'd go with the to much air filter oil as well causing plug fouling. I would change the plug first thing.

Ask yourself what have I done since it last ran well? changing oil would have no impact on performance, air filter could have, what do you use for filter oil?
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline livenlife699

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 08:04:01 AM »
Change your air filter and use less oil, Im sure your sucking oil through the airboot ..

Offline MinitubbedvegA

• The Bullet
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 08:21:56 AM »
Well the comp check shows about 140psi and that's with shoes on, so I could maybe get a lil more if I had my boots on. The filter was oiled with K&N oil, I don;t think its over oiled, but it could've been. On my Cr I washed it with gas and oiled it with wd 40 before, and ran nice! lol
I will dry it a lil, and see, I also just put in a new plug
I took it down the road, and noticed the rear tire had a nail in it and was low, that could be the missing power I am feeling from it on the top, luggu=ing a half flat tire through the sand, but the high idle, and back fires dtill get me. Oh well about to pull the carb and reeds to see what we got!

Offline crazyolbastard

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 09:02:49 AM »
I used that k&n oil too with BAD results.
I will not use it again except for my k&n filter in my pick-up.
I`m with the others,  what have you done since it ran good?

I use only air filter oil now when I service my filter.
That spray on k&n stuff does not work well on my foam filter.
Crazy Ol Bastard

Offline MinitubbedvegA

• The Bullet
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 09:31:25 AM »
I used that k&n oil too with BAD results.
I will not use it again except for my k&n filter in my pick-up.
I`m with the others,  what have you done since it ran good?

I use only air filter oil now when I service my filter.
That spray on k&n stuff does not work well on my foam filter.

That's a good point I didn't even think of, I have never used a foam filter before, so I could've went a lil heavy.

Motorrad

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 11:41:32 AM »
K&N oil DOES NOT WORK on Foam Filters..