Author Topic: Continental Divide  (Read 97579 times)

Motorrad

Re: Continental Divide
« Reply #165 on: July 13, 2012, 03:15:09 PM »
been outrunning thunder lightning storms for several days..

was neet... we chased a lightning storm across the great basin... watching it rain, and lightning ahead of you... but not on you...   then the 50mph winds hit... decided not to pictch a tent.. .and hotel'ed it...

next we ran over some pass's..  in colorado.. etc etc....   got T-boned by another storm... SERIOUS ugly... pitch black... was where we needed to go (salida)..   so we decided to turn right and outrun it over to Buena Vista. CO. (where I am sitting right now)...

uncle G met up with us.. has been with us for several days...   

AS OF today.... I have missed my wedding anaversary... and my wifes birthday...     yea my wife is great and understands...

Motorrad

« Reply #166 on: July 14, 2012, 06:50:18 AM »

And left her to shop-vac up a dead mouse in your garage. Ewww. You're welcome, honey.
- Mrs. Motorrad
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 02:31:30 PM by Motorrad »

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #167 on: July 14, 2012, 08:34:42 AM »
Hilarious!  :-D
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #168 on: July 14, 2012, 12:51:29 PM »
The pics are just awesome!!....keep em comin!.The one with the bikes parked on the dirt road surrounded by all the Birch trees is cool.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #169 on: July 18, 2012, 11:43:33 AM »
These are great pics and real fun to keep tabs on the long trip. Should be a documentary! I have been having one disaster after another in the shop lately, so it is a nice escape to see where I could be, and what I could be doing. IF I WAS NOT HAVING TO BUY, FIX, AND REPAIR ALL THE CRAP THAT IS GOING WRONG!!!!!!!! Sorry, had to vent. Keep ?em coming!
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...

Motorrad

« Reply #170 on: July 21, 2012, 04:40:32 AM »
The storm I chased across the great basin..

Motorrad

« Reply #171 on: July 21, 2012, 05:12:13 AM »
St Elmo Colorado..

Hotel sign in Grants NM

Motorrad

« Reply #172 on: July 21, 2012, 07:52:27 AM »
From St elmo  we got alot of rain from then on..   Ended up in Gunnison for the night..    as. my routes from there down had BIG BOLD notes from me saying DO NOT GO WHEN WET!!     As the roads turn into that ugly pottery clay stuff that just packs up on tires etc...   I have been in that stuff before... (every step you take walking you grow 4")    so did way more pavement in NM then I wanted to... but still stuck to the trail pretty darn close... and saw everything I would have in the dirt.

Hancock pass  colorado. (actually part of the trans america trail, that I didnt get to do when I did the TAT... because it was snowed in.. so I re-routed and did it instead of marshall pass)

Creede colorado.

somewhere in newmexico (natural arch)..

and... sadly.. back to the truck..

« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 08:11:04 AM by Motorrad »

Motorrad

« Reply #173 on: July 21, 2012, 08:09:47 AM »
OH.. and that picture of the "do not enter when wet" sign in NM  isnt my picture.. I took that from a ride report on Advrider... from some guys I met on the trail (crossed their path in Pinedale CO.)..

this is what NM looked like to me most of the time (the few times I could break out a camera, due to the RAIN....

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #174 on: July 21, 2012, 02:34:12 PM »

I can't believe it's already been a month...actually just over a month!!....that sucks,as I was really enjoying and looking forward to seeing some more of those incredible pics!!

Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Motorrad

« Reply #175 on: July 21, 2012, 04:13:31 PM »

I can't believe it's already been a month...actually just over a month!!....that sucks,as I was really enjoying and looking forward to seeing some more of those incredible pics!!

and you wonder how I feel..

honestly  it felt like a long weekend (3 day weekend) at the desert...    you show up..  ride around the truck.. and go home....

next time.... much longer....    

The pictures dont do any of it justice....   I look at them and think... Blah... thats what they show?!

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #176 on: July 21, 2012, 04:22:43 PM »
I believe it...but for us unfortunate ones...the pics have to do. :-D

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #177 on: July 25, 2012, 01:48:29 PM »
The pics and commentary are great. I encourage you to submit it to Cycle World or another mag. It was really great to be able to follow along and share in the adventure! I am sure others would enjoy it as much as we did on this site.
On the clay stuff, I had to hike through that wet clay crap for half a day once. No choice. Had to keep knocking it off when it got to be too much. About every ten steps! Legs got very sore from picking up the extra weight. I understand snowshoeing is like that too.
Much as you would rather be still riding out there, welcome back!
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...

Offline ID KX500

• Life, Liberty, and The Pursuit of Happiness
« Reply #178 on: July 27, 2012, 12:52:17 AM »

I've really enjoyed following your ride report here Motorrad, it has been epic.

I just returned from a ride that took me through the Magruder Corridor. It's open now but just a few days prior it was still blocked.

"Endeavor to persevere."

Motorrad

« Reply #179 on: August 02, 2012, 05:41:52 AM »
Very cool..

Yea. we made it pretty far on the mcgruder.   lots of going down embankments, and back up,  over trees, under tree's..

are there any "tour of idaho" stickers that you know of?   would like one for my tool box and the saddle bags...