Author Topic: Are case halves actually made as a set?  (Read 1567 times)

Offline 81cr450

Are case halves actually made as a set?
« on: May 26, 2012, 03:28:06 PM »
Like the title says, Are case halves actually made as a set? Proof , not my cousin Elmo said his aunt saw it done like soooo.
    Ive got a case half I can salvage & keep as the factory set with a little repair work, nothing that serious even. It got me to thinking though, I really dont believe that they are made as matched sets. The dowel holes are the reference points to align the 2 halves.  Especially with a KX500 the outer seal stop would make a line boring or honing near impossible. I've always heard you wanted to get the case as a set, but thinking through the machining procedures I just cant see how they would match them. Like one side of the case has one size of bearing & the other side has another size & a blind hole. Any one got some enlightenment?
if I only had a pair, I could actually ride this thing

& to the people I like  FYYFF

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: Are case halves actually made as a set?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 03:44:11 PM »
When I first started selling them I only sold them in sets.
Over the years I received so many requests for individual cases that I finally gave in and started selling them separately.
In all that time I have only had one come back that the customer said didn't match.
We inspected it, checked the ID and found that it was correctly identified.
It was re-sold and the customer was perfectly happy with it.
So.... my 2 pennies worth is while it would be nice to get a set, it isn't always a necessity.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.