Author Topic: I now believe...  (Read 2667 times)

Offline triffecpa

I now believe...
« on: June 25, 2004, 09:55:38 AM »
I'm a fairly recent convert to the dirt side of motorcycling.  I moved to New Mexico about 2 1/2 years ago and they seem to have a lot more dirt than Washington does...  Anyway, I bought a '83 Yamaha TT600 (dirt only version of the XT600) for $800 in order to get my feet wet (actually, one rarely gets wet feet in NM as that would require water...) in the dirt bike biz.  I just couldn't (and still can't) see spending $5-7,000 for a dirt bike so that you can take it out and beat it to death over rocks etc.  Anyway, I've enjoyed my TT600.  Great sounds, great low end torque etc.  However, a little on the chubby side (but then again, so am I...).  About a month ago, the TT started to give me some problems, so I bought the newest cheapest replacement bike that I could find.  A friend of a friend had a '90 KX500 that he was unable to ride due to a skateboard injury (and some people think that bikes are dangerous...).  Anyway, the bike was in good shape.  He'd owned it for the last 5 years or so and seemed to be pretty meticulous about maintenance.  I tend towards the 4 stroke end of the bike spectrum.  Probably too many years of growing up with small block Chevys and then my long stint with street bikes and road race bikes (all 4 strokes).  Anyway, the KX wasn't really what I was looking for as we tend to ride mountain trails more than the open desert, but I figured that I could buy it ($1300) and ride it for a year or so and get my money back out of it if it turned out to be the wrong bike.  Well, I've taken it out three times now.  Once in tight mountain trails.  Beat the hell out of the expansion chamber because I hadn't yet purchased a pipe guard, but fortunately the flimsy plastic skid plate kept the cases intact.  The second time out was a bit more open and with deep sand.  Not my favorite place to ride.  and then today, We went out to a nice combination of tight trails and more open dirt roads with an occasional monster sand hill thrown in.  The KX flat shined.  My buddies were on a late model XR400, a YZ400F four stroke and an older XL600 Honda.  I took turns riding each of the other bikes and the KX was my favorite by far.  The power is tremendous, the suspension works real well and the bikes light enough and stable enough to really wring out on the open stretches.  I have purchased a FMF gnarly pipe and a reed spacer kit along with a Steahly flywheel weight to try and adapt the bike a bit more to the tight mountain stuff, but even in it's current condition, it's tough to beat.  So, I now believe...

Twist-a-grip

I now believe...
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 01:50:11 PM »
Glad you enjoy it.  It is hard to deny the versatility of this bike. While no bike can do everything with perfection, this bike seems to do everything well.

mikesmith

I now believe...
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 09:39:43 PM »
Sounds like your hooked!Cant beat the power or the "do it all" that the 500 is all about,and a competive 4-stroke cost a lot more.Have fun!

Offline KXcam22

I now believe...
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2004, 06:17:22 PM »
It's pretty hard bike to beat in terms of versatility.  A bit of jetting and a few minor mods make huge improvements.  For me, it was finding the right tires that made the difference.  A couple of years ago I was sitting in a coffee shop with $10 G's in my pocket (bikes cost lots in Canada) mulling over the 450 in the honda shop across the street (too chicken to cross the road).  I must have sat there for 2 hours trying to decide if and how much better it was than my 92 KX5.  I couldn't come up with any real advantages. My wife was floored when I got home, since I had gone out to buy a new bike and came home with a shiny speedboat instead. It was the right decision!  My KX still makes fans out of anyone who rides it.  Might have to go get a new 2004 in a crate before they run out.  Open it up in few years like a time capsule.  Cam.

Rick

I now believe...
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2004, 11:10:53 AM »
Yup, have to agree.  I just returned from a 9 day vacation in the Idaho mountains, riding every old and new ISDE trail I could find.  We burned just short of 50 gallons of gas (2 bikes almost 700 miles), and rode 4-6 hours every day.  Way too much fun!  With the 14 oz. flywheel and the forks pushed up in the tripple clamps 3/8", the tight terrain was no match for the big KX.  Also, even with the big long uphills, I never lost a drop of green life giving KX blood...wish I could say the same for the KTM 380 we had along for giggles, as it seemed to puke out coolant just at the sight of a big long knarly uphill.

Yes sir, the big KX lets you hang it out in the desert, and tractor up every tight switchback hill in the mountains.  

Rick