Author Topic: Mating surface on pipe.  (Read 1788 times)

Offline delphipro5

Mating surface on pipe.
« on: June 21, 2011, 03:28:34 AM »
I have a question about the pipes mating surface. I belive it was coated with a chrome or nickel finish where it mates with the cylinder port. Unfortunatley I needed it stripped to repair a crack in it, And the blaster took the mating suface off with the rest of the coating! :oops:

I am going to get this professionally ceramic coated with Ceramicoat when finished, and am wondering if that will be enough of a finish to be used as the coating for the mating surface. OR should I have the first few inches or so dipped in a chrome or nickel bath? :|

Motorrad

Re: Mating surface on pipe.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 05:31:40 AM »
Umm. The o-rings are the "mating surface" not the metal..

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 07:06:21 AM »
I have a question about the pipes mating surface. I belive it was coated with a chrome or nickel finish where it mates with the cylinder port. Unfortunatley I needed it stripped to repair a crack in it, And the blaster took the mating suface off with the rest of the coating! :oops:

I am going to get this professionally ceramic coated with Ceramicoat when finished, and am wondering if that will be enough of a finish to be used as the coating for the mating surface. OR should I have the first few inches or so dipped in a chrome or nickel bath? :|

Are you referring to the face of the flange that would rest against the copper crush gasket ? If so, I wouldn't think a sandblasted surface vs a chrome surface would make any difference...
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 08:28:21 AM »
Thanks, I know they put some sort of finish on the end OEM. looked nickel plated. Ceramicoat should be enough then.

Offline don46

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 04:45:50 AM »
did at some point you say you were anal about the details? if you didn't you should :-D I've machined the piece in question out of steel never had a problem. there would be no reason for it to be chromed or hard surfaced as it resides in the Aluminum spigot
Live today, for tomorrow may never come