Author Topic: No brake pressure  (Read 4651 times)

Offline sniper1

No brake pressure
« on: June 20, 2011, 03:06:21 PM »
         Well I love my new brake clevis and spring it gives the pedal a great feel and no more slop but I can't get any brake pressure to save my life, I pumped them up and got straight fluid coming out but no pressure it's the strangest thing and I put new stainless lines on the bike.

I'm about to buy a new master cylinder if this keeps up but would rather know why it refuses to get pressure this is odd and I've never had a problem with pressure on anything else or other bikes in the past so I had to walk away from the bike for a bit and come ask you guys.
Just an old guy that enjoys going fast, I was in the army for 6 years and bought my first K5 when I returned from basic training. I raced a yz60 from age 6 to 8  a kx80 from 8 to 12  a kx125 from 12-17 intermediate class on k5 which I've owned 3.

Motorrad

Re: No brake pressure
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 03:14:24 PM »
Short answer. On my iPhone...

Messed with pads lately?

Only thing that has got me in years...

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,8219.0.html

Offline sniper1

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 03:33:06 PM »
Yep new pads new lines new caliper rubber boots new bleeder new bleeder caps and new springs for front and rear I'll check what you had problems with because I'm getting straight fluid coming out of the bleeder no air and no pressure :( no squeeze of the pads either so I'm checking the placement of the pads because the springs are new.
Just an old guy that enjoys going fast, I was in the army for 6 years and bought my first K5 when I returned from basic training. I raced a yz60 from age 6 to 8  a kx80 from 8 to 12  a kx125 from 12-17 intermediate class on k5 which I've owned 3.

Motorrad

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 03:45:01 PM »
Yep new pads new lines new caliper rubber boots new bleeder new bleeder caps and new springs for front and rear I'll check what you had problems with because I'm getting straight fluid coming out of the bleeder no air and no pressure :( no squeeze of the pads either so I'm checking the placement of the pads because the springs are new.

Sounds like exactly my problem...   The pads were rocking back and forth on the spring clip.. Giving the impression of no pressure. When in fact everything was fine... 

Offline sniper1

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 03:57:30 PM »
       I'm going in lol and the fasst brake clevis and spring make the pedal feel solid so it tricked me at first I put it together and the pedal felt great it returned fast and I adjusted my spring preload and then noticed the pedal wasn't getting pressure from fluid and the pads weren't budging but I'm going back after it right now will post back and sure hope that is it.

What a weird thing to happen never heard of such a thing and I do huge tractors and trailers and cars and trucks you know the drill lol.

Offline sniper1

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 05:48:15 PM »
         I'll be a son of a ___tch I took everything apart and flipped the spring over then put pressure on the pads with my fingers and it pumped right up unbelievable and never come accross anything like it.

It's 1:35 here in michigan and I just finished up so from my last post until now it took me cleaning everything up and adjusting everything tightening and retightening all buttoned up and man between the new pads and stainless lines and the fasst spring and clevis what a solid brake and can't wait to try it out tomorrow to see how good it stops.

Bike bandit sent me the wrong galfer stainless front line so I have to wait until the new line comes in to tune the front brakes up but we'll check the rear.

Fasst billet brake clevis no more play in the brakes and the spring loaded brake return

Huge thanks motorad I can't believe it was just that simple :)

Motorrad

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 05:59:19 PM »
Glad I saved somone else the headache..

I have done ALOT of motorcycle brakes in my time.
Im ASE certed for car brakes,
I have my AirBrake Cert for big stuff...

Yet somthing like this took me a week and a half worth of head scratching to finaly stumble on that... I had never run across it before...

I ran over 2 bottles of fluid through it,

REBUILT the master with all new parts...

and in a last ditch I was throwing on another caliper I have... and found the clip issue..

Offline sniper1

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 06:15:48 PM »
         A lot of our equipment has air brakes like the dump truck and then working on the tractors not certified just a farmer that has to do a lot of things myself to keep costs down and my dad is the cheapest guy I know lol so we have to do just about everything ourselves.

I never would have figured this out it just doesn't make any sense that something like that could stop the brakes from building pressure but that was it and it's like a rock now you saved multiple thrown wrenches and who knows what else I may have broken lol thanks again.

Offline sniper1

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 09:24:33 AM »
        Did I tell you guys how great the pressure and feel of my rear brake is? just wasn't sure if I had told anyone about how much brake pressure I have :) do you guys have any idea how much brake pressure I have in my rear brake? nyuk nyuk nyuk I have serious pressure in this rear brake I just thought I would tell you guys about it.

Cannot wait to get the front caliper rebuilt and galfer stainless line with EBC MX pads on the front this is going to be fun.

Can you tell that I have excellent pressure in my rear brake? thanks again motorrad :)

Offline sniper1

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 10:04:16 AM »
      Jeez tough room :(

Motorrad

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 07:18:46 AM »
        Did I tell you guys how great the pressure and feel of my rear brake is? just wasn't sure if I had told anyone about how much brake pressure I have :) do you guys have any idea how much brake pressure I have in my rear brake? nyuk nyuk nyuk I have serious pressure in this rear brake I just thought I would tell you guys about it.

Cannot wait to get the front caliper rebuilt and galfer stainless line with EBC MX pads on the front this is going to be fun.

Can you tell that I have excellent pressure in my rear brake? thanks again motorrad :)

I have been tempted to swap to a stainless rear line...  As now on my bike, the rear brakes are the ones that feel weak.. (front is all 2008 kx450 stuff)..     

Offline sniper1

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 07:57:19 AM »
      Well I can tell you that my braking in the rear is 200% better but I cannot say for sure if it's the pads or the line or the rebuilt caliper combined with pedal feel but before the upgrades I could stand on these brakes and it took forever to stop now it's light pressure and stops great :) I would think the lines had something to do with that but I also put new fluid in too so I don't want to say for sure and give you bad info :)