Author Topic: A few last questions...  (Read 4352 times)

Offline Camo

• Dune Rider
A few last questions...
« on: June 15, 2011, 08:35:46 AM »
I'm pulling the pin on some new plastics, but have searched and read but am a little confused exactly what year and model to buy a front fender from and number plate.

I'm putting on the modded rear fender. Stock white side plates. An IMS 3.6 gallon tank. Stock shrouds. Decal kit.

IMO, the silencer on this thing is fugly. Is there one that looks modern and is shorter? All the ones I try to look up all say the picture is generic but I'll receive one that is for my bike. I don't want to order one and get the same thing. I have the FMF silencer now. Post up pics if you have them. Thanks.

2000 KX500
2004 KFX 800 Turbo Nitrous
2004 KFX 800 Nitrous
2006 KVF 730 Nitrous
2005 KVF 700
2011 KTM SX450F
2008 KTM SX 144
2007 KTM SX 85
2011 KTM SX 65
2007 KTM SX 50 Senior Pro
2004 Suzuki RM 65 (Kawie)
2008 Victory Hammer
2006 CBR1000

Offline Rider1958

Re: A few last questions...
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 01:13:49 AM »
I wanted a modern-appearing silencer on my KX5 also, and wanted the quietest one I could find that was also spark-arrested.
FMF seems to make the quietest ones, but do not make one of their latest designs (the FMF Turbinecore II-Q) for my KX5, so I bought one from Pro-Circuit, the "Type 294". Got it through Dennis Kirk (denniskirk.com). Not as quiet as I had hoped, if FMF ever comes out with the II-Q for mine, I'm gettin' one.

The one I bought can be seen on my bike here:

Offline sniper1

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 02:55:20 PM »
      You want a 03-07 KX250 front fender UFO is what I used, the bolt holes are a direct match but there are metal grometts that go between the fender and the bottom of the clamp so you will need a 3/8 drillbit to drill the holes out big enough to refit the metal gromets very easy to do and looks good.

You want a 92-93 KX250 rear fender I used UFO and this is the end result notice the short silencer comes in at 90 decibles 2500-3000 rpms I had a welder cut it down so it come out just past the number plate and I have allen heads so I can repack the silencer anytime it's needed the bristol core stuff is pretty good to get me in at 90 decibles and 9" silencer.

I bought a fx gripper seat cover and the ceet low foam so the seat would meet the rear fender perfectly and it does plus the ceet foam is better than the OEM stuff and it's more comfortable to sit on that it was with the OEM taller foam.

How to modify the rear fender
http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,3277.0.html
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 03:02:30 PM by sniper1 »
Just an old guy that enjoys going fast, I was in the army for 6 years and bought my first K5 when I returned from basic training. I raced a yz60 from age 6 to 8  a kx80 from 8 to 12  a kx125 from 12-17 intermediate class on k5 which I've owned 3.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 04:00:24 PM »

Thanks For taking the time to post the results,#'s and fitment!
   Excellent!
    Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline sniper1

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 04:19:24 AM »
        :) just want to add a little something back to the site that has helped me with my project and the more k5 owners the better there is power in numbers.

With the 250 fenders and short silencer I made a quadzilla 500 put his machine back on the trailer after beating him in a drag race he had extended swingarm and paddle tires in soft stuff too we had a few draws and I won 2 times by a bike length in 400' race but he thought my bike was a 250 and put his machine on his trailer and left I'm not kidding lol I followed him to his trailer and he was pretty angry.

Just an old guy that enjoys going fast, I was in the army for 6 years and bought my first K5 when I returned from basic training. I raced a yz60 from age 6 to 8  a kx80 from 8 to 12  a kx125 from 12-17 intermediate class on k5 which I've owned 3.

Offline jrowley85

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 11:53:30 AM »
ok im about to do the 2000 kx250 front and rear fender conversions on my kx500 and the big question i have is when im doing the front fender will the 2000 kx250 front number plate fit right on or am i going to have to mod it at all to make it match up with the mounting holes on the 5hunny 8-)
drive it like you stole it

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 11:58:29 AM »
you're going with the 250 front number plate as well?....and what year is your 500?
I've got a 95 500 that I put a 2000 500 front number plate on with an 03 250 front fender....I did have to mod the number plate just a little to mate with the fender tightly.
If you do a search for "2000 kx250 rear fender mod",go to the 3rd page,I have a few pics that show it.

Foxx
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 12:07:57 PM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline jrowley85

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 02:05:30 PM »
ok i'll check out the pics.. and im not sure if i need to do the number plate.. or even if it would work, i just want everything to look as tho it belongs without having gaps and looking funny, and i have a '99 5hunny
 :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 02:12:50 PM by jrowley85 »

Offline jrowley85

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 02:08:59 PM »
BTW Foxx.. that front fender with the number plate looks great.. how much of a mod was it? just a little trimming on the sides?

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 02:31:40 PM »
yes just minor trimming mostly where the plate meets the top of the fender,and a little on the sides....little bits at a time,trim it,fit it,mark it,and trim a little more until it was tight.Just take your time and go slow and you'll get a perfect fit.
Your bike being a 99,,,you may get away with alot less trimming if you use your stock number plate than I had to.My stock 95 front number plate is different than the 99-2000.95 came with 3 bolt mounts,I think it changed in 97 or 96 to just one bolt mount,so that's why I had to do most of my trimming.

Foxx
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 02:41:10 PM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline jrowley85

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 02:58:05 PM »
thanks alot Foxx.. i will post pics when i get it done.. which might be a while, about to deploy to afghanland..lol..  seeing as i just got my 500 a few months ago theres alot of things i wanna do it it.. main things being suspension, and all new plastics.. i got her for an even trade for a 2001 yz250 with a bad stator but  a brand new motor, and my 500 had a brand new motor when i got her from the guy..oh and my front number plate has 3 bolts as well.. i tried posting some pics of her but for some reason the site wont let me.. and your front number plate looks diff then mine.. it might be because mine is old..

Offline jrowley85

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 03:01:26 PM »
since i cant post pics on this site here's a link to a few pix of my bike, in case you have some input to help make her sexy 8-) http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/j332/jrowley85/

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 03:14:40 PM »
You're welcome,
yeah,my number plate is a 2000....if your bike is really a 99,it should have the same style plate as mine.I also see that yours has green side plates.The 99 came stock with white plates all around.....not that it means your bike is'nt a 99,but for s&*ts and giggles,write down your VIN# off the frame,and then do a search on here how to determine the year of your bike...I think it's the 10th digit that reveals the actual year it is.It looks good....have fun with it!

Foxx

Offline jrowley85

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 03:17:27 PM »
yeah i did a vin search on it thats how i found out it was a '99. he told me it was a '98. and about the white side plates ive been looking for white ones and it doesnt seem like any of the companies are making white ones.. just green, its kinda pissing me off cuz i really want white ones.. or black, cuz im thinking of blacking out all the plastics.. thanks for everything man

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 03:19:48 PM »
yeah you can only get white plates through Kawasaki.