Author Topic: KX500 Front Brake mod  (Read 18354 times)

Motorrad

Re: KX500 Front Brake mod
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2009, 05:35:51 PM »
Did anyone ever figure out what year 450 master?  Looking for all the brakes I can get on a budget.

Offline barryadam

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2009, 11:56:10 AM »
dsrtrider,
I think you will be very happy with the CR brake line & a good set of HH+ pads, but keep in mind you will need a way to attach the cable to your fork guard preventing the cable from hanging on your # plate or top tree. I had a set of carbon guards made with the honda tab done for mine. 2001 & up KX has a different M/C & is not an issue but on any before the stock setup needs alot of improvement. I had tried everything to get front brakes 15 years ago & the biggest improvement came from the Honda line. Keep us posted how it works out for you & if you need pics of the guards I had made let me know.

I searched but can't seem to find any good gallery pics of the CR style lines on a stock KX500 fork/caliper.  I'd be interested in seeing an example that represents a 2001 KX500, and if I'd need to make that fork guard mod.  Got any pics?

So Doldguy, based on your above post, is the KXF450 master cylinder upgrade not needed on a 2001 KX500?

Barry
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 12:02:12 PM by barryadam »
"I hate heli-coils. They are like hospice for motorcycle parts."- BDI

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2009, 10:20:32 AM »
Check your Master Cylinder for the # 11 (by the banjo bolt). If you have this, you have the "Good" Master Cylinder (it has the larger piston). The CR style direct routing will still make a noticeable difference & makes bleeding all of the air out much easier. I will try to get some pics of the fork guards & post them as it will be much better then attempting a description. I personally like the HH+ pads, they offer a substantial increase in bite.
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2009, 02:03:14 PM »
Finally have the pics to post. These guards are made for the KX Series (125/250/500) and are Carbon Fiber and Very Stiff so they do not need a guide on the stanchion tube which allows the use of the Honda Style Routing. I have had these since my Moto Days & Purchased them from DSP/Willy Amaradio at the time. It is my understanding he sold/merged with FMF & that relationship has terminated. I dont know if he is still producing the Carbon Fiber stuff or not, but see he is still involved in the sport (read about him in Cycle News / REM events for Old Guys like me). I have seen some other Carbon guards (light speed) but they were no where near as stiff as these and you would have to use the fork guard guides on them & to answer the obvious question, no the stock plastic guards are not stiff enough either. If you find any info on Willy please post & I will do the same.

Offline barryadam

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2009, 03:47:27 AM »
Thanks for following up and getting these shots.
I have a set of DSP guards new that I have never installed.  Will have to pursue this.

Did you have to grind your DSPs in the mounting area to get them to fit without stress?
"I hate heli-coils. They are like hospice for motorcycle parts."- BDI

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2009, 05:48:47 AM »
No, they bolted right on. Sounds like you just need the Tab :-D Keep us posted on your opinion

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2011, 02:25:58 PM »
Bump........for Joko (working from my iPhone.. No copy/paste)
DoldGuy

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2011, 03:53:46 PM »
 Got Your Back Bro! 
  now there are two in a row.  (Front brake mod that is):lol:
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011, 11:46:39 PM »
if you have some photos i would be interested thanks! and thanks for everyones input

I doubt it seeing as how this peticular thread was started 3 years ago.....

do some searching you will most likely find some pics, it's a popular KX mod.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 11:48:21 PM by Polar-Bus »
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2011, 04:04:25 AM »
if you have some photos i would be interested thanks! and thanks for everyones input

Pics on this thread......reply #18

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2011, 04:15:07 AM »

Pics on this thread......reply #18

OK that was strange, when I was posting my commente above, I did'ne see any pics within this post ?  OK, so now I see them. I retract my above comment :D
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart