Author Topic: does any one know  (Read 1930 times)

Offline russ

• my 1989 k5
does any one know
« on: June 12, 2011, 06:15:24 AM »
hey guys hows it go, i have a 88 with a 89 motor kx500 and i bought a new chain for it cant remember what brand it is gold all i know but i ajust it right brfore i go out and by theend of a days riden it strechs so much it has done this three times out how much do the strech , it streched enough to take out at least one link do i maybe have the wrong chain fo this bike cause at the end of the day i can all most take it off the rear sprocket by hand with out undoin any thing and at the start of the day its tight, is this chain just goin to snap cause of how much its strechin, well if any one knows the answers let me know thanks
bikes

1989 kx500

Offline 454SS

Re: does any one know
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 06:43:21 AM »
The more the chain stretches, the more it will start to hook your sprockets.  Meaning they will start to wear in a slant.  Best to buy a quality O or X ring chain...regardless of the color.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 10:39:29 PM »
hey guys hows it go, i have a 88 with a 89 motor kx500 and i bought a new chain for it cant remember what brand it is gold all i know but i ajust it right brfore i go out and by theend of a days riden it strechs so much it has done this three times out how much do the strech , it streched enough to take out at least one link do i maybe have the wrong chain fo this bike cause at the end of the day i can all most take it off the rear sprocket by hand with out undoin any thing and at the start of the day its tight, is this chain just goin to snap cause of how much its strechin, well if any one knows the answers let me know thanks

Russ, can you do us a huge favor and use some punctuation and spell check ? I have no friggin clue what you are trying to explain. Thank you....
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline russ

• my 1989 k5
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 06:25:33 AM »
sorry about that , i was in a hurry when i wrote that.i didnt relize how much of that was spelt wrong . sorry again. what i am tryin to ask is how much do chains strech.the last three times out rideing, my chain has streched enough to take out three links . is my chain strechin to much and what is a good chain for these bikes thanks alot, and once again sorry about the spellin in the other post
bikes

1989 kx500

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 07:20:17 AM »
 Hey Russ,
   I don't think I've ever had a chain stretch that much on either of my 500's.
      If the tensil strength of the chain is too low.. yes,the chain is going to snap.

That may lead to catastrophic damage to the bike and very dangerous situation.
                I think you ought to take the chain off until you find out what's going on.

If you don't know what chain to get ,   Rockymtn. atv/mc  has a system that will pull up parts recommended for your bike.
   like this: http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/HeaderVeh.do?headerPrevMake=2&headerPrevModel=320&headerPrevVehicleType=2&whichPage=home&vehicleId=&headerVehicleTypeId=2&headerMake=2&headerModel=320&headerYear=2000
     Their brand of chain and sprockets under  the name  "Primary Drive".   
 If money is tight, that would be the way I would go. 
    Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"