Author Topic: 1998 KX500 | OEM Spec Build  (Read 10307 times)

Offline manco

1998 KX500 | OEM Spec Build
« on: June 29, 2016, 08:21:16 AM »
This project has been slow and go for almost a year now. Parts and pieces having been arriving over the past several months. Racer's Edge in Lakewood, CO rebuilt the bottom end last winter. Cylinder was re-plated by Millennium Technologies this past spring. Finally out of a pile of parts cluttering my shop a KX500 is beginning to emerge.

"Never contend with a man who has nothing to lose.”
― Baltasar Gracián

Offline manco

Re: 1998 KX500 | OEM Spec Build
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 08:43:01 AM »
The direction of the build is fairly straight forward. I am focusing on returning the bike to relatively stock OEM condition. I am also building the bike for riding MX so there won't be the usual de-tuning "farkles" found on so many KX500s doomed to a life of putt putt putting along on trails. There are a few subtle custom touches here and there but mostly this build is as close to showroom spec as can be with limited changes to accommodate mx track riding.
― Baltasar Gracián

Offline manco

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 08:43:33 AM »

― Baltasar Gracián

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 08:50:37 AM »
Lookin good.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline manco

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 10:47:39 AM »

― Baltasar Gracián

Offline manco

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 10:58:15 AM »
When putting the rear suspension linkage in I noticed that the parts diagram for the KX500 shows the lower rear shock rebound dampening facing left instead of to the right. Most KX500 in pictures show just the opposite with the rebound adjuster on the right. I have the shock in with the rebound to the right now. Seems straight. Doesn't make sense though with the upper rear shock mount biased to the right. Does anyone know what the official correct install is?

Parts diagram shows rebound to left.

Most KX500s have the rebound to the right.

Which way should it go?

― Baltasar Gracián

Offline manco

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 02:32:33 AM »
I did some more looking into the direction of the rear shock mount. I can see no reason the lower mount can't be mounted in either direction. The dampening side of the mount is shaved from the outside to make room for the top of the bolt. The mount is centered to the shock rod and both sides of the mount are approx 12mm thick. I was looking at the mount earlier thinking the skinnier thickness of one side biased the mounting that direction but this is incorrect. Regardless of direction of the mount its centered where it is supposed to be either way.

I am gonna follow the parts diagram and mount the dampening controls to the left. That way all bolts are going the same direction. For some reason I think I read in a service manual for XT600s that mounting bolts should go in certain directions for different areas of a bike due to forces of energy created by engine torque causing bolts to loosen if mounted one way or another. Thing of it is all XT600 engine bolts are left to right and suspension right to left while KX500 is the opposite. Torque characteristics of 4T vs 2T? Then again maybe bolts just go the way they do because the assembly line at the factory is setup how it is? Maybe the dampening control was put to right over the years just to show the control in marketing pictures of the right side shock with its compression control too? I wonder what the engineers had in mind making the parts diagram show the dampening on the left? Bolt direction must have played a part as the 3d orientation of the diagram is pretty clearly marked with all bolts coming in from the left.

Dampening control is following parts diagram, facing left.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 02:34:50 AM by manco »
― Baltasar Gracián

Offline manco

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 02:18:58 AM »
Been a while since I had time and space to wrench on this project. I got distracted over the summer with other bike projects. Now back on track and getting the KX500 back together.

― Baltasar Gracián

Offline 450 OX

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 08:23:15 AM »
looking good so far! question where did you purchase the silicone coolant hoses? Id like to get a set for myself.
06CRF450X, 01KX500, 02CRF450R, 95KX250, 89YZ250, 85YZ125, 79YZ125, 75MX125, 73MX100, 69TRAIL50

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 02:14:01 AM »
Nice job ! I put my rear shock in 180 degrees the wround way once as well, I believe the problem is if you install backwards it's a real PIA to access the dampening adjuster screw. Something will obscure access to the screw. I can't remember the exact scenario as I did this mistake many years ago..
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline Ims Roll

• Ride safe, Ride hard
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 03:54:37 AM »
No reason to fight the chain and swing arm guard when you are adjusting the rear shock... I would mount it with the screw facing the brake side of the bike. (I know it is an old post but might as well)
The 2-smoke runs deep in this one...

Offline manco

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 08:09:04 AM »
No reason to fight the chain and swing arm guard when you are adjusting the rear shock... I would mount it with the screw facing the brake side of the bike. (I know it is an old post but might as well)
I am getting around to continuing the build and am about to pull the swingarm and rear linkage for new bearing installation. I will probably switch the position of that piece when I reassemble.
― Baltasar Gracián

Offline manco

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 08:14:21 AM »
looking good so far! question where did you purchase the silicone coolant hoses? Id like to get a set for myself.
I got them off fleabay with the radiators. Some pieces didn't fit for crap. My radiators didn't fit for crap either so maybe I just got some crap all around. The above pictures may not show it but I ended up putting an OEM hose in from the water pump up to the radiators. That silicone hose was the worst. One of the other silicon hoses also fit bad but did work. I have an OEM on hand to replace it next time I pull the cylinder. Unless colored silicone looks is a big issue my advice is to just get OEM hoses. They are much more durable and fit better.
― Baltasar Gracián

Offline manco

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 08:25:12 AM »
I have actually had this build together for awhile now. One thing I wanted to point out was I swapped the OEM Kawasaki brakes to 2001 Honda CR125 brakes for more stopping power or so the myth goes. The calipers and master cylinders fit fine. I did cut down the threads on the rear brake caliper lever mount to fit better. The front and rear brake lines from the Honda fit fine but I ran into issues with the Honda front brake line. The CR125 line fit but when the fork compressed the hose got too close to the disk and it got cut. I noticed it luckily before it was an issue. The way the hose mounts on the CR125 forks and fork guards is different then the Kawasaki so the hose and style of routing won't work with KX500 forks and guards. Below are pics of the bike last year when it was fresh out of the shop with the the bad front brake hose routing. Again don't try this or you will eventually slice through the front brake line.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 08:44:03 AM by manco »
― Baltasar Gracián

Offline manco

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 08:35:08 AM »
Here are pics of the current state of the build. Note the standard OEM front brake line and routing now in place. I am finally getting around to getting the rear suspension bearings replaced. I also have an aftermarket white number plate that was as close to stock as I could find as the OEM plate is no longer available. I have a green OEM front fender to put on and am waiting for a green OEM rear fender and an OEM white rear brake guard to arrive. Unfortunately the OEM rear brake guard and fender are stuck in parts ordering hell. They are part of an order with .40 OEM fork springs. The fork springs were back ordered for over a month until I bugged the supplier who finally responded they were no longer available. Now I am waiting for OEM .39 springs which are also back ordered for another 3-4 weeks but luckily are still available. After spending so much time on suspension-less bicycles I am a really light rider when it comes to style so the .41 springs are stupid stiff for me. They jack the front end of the bike up too much anyway when I am on it so I am looking forward to some lighter springs.
― Baltasar Gracián