Author Topic: reasons to NOT sell a kx5  (Read 6615 times)

Offline slow600

reasons to NOT sell a kx5
« on: June 01, 2011, 11:28:07 AM »
found myself pondering selling my kx5 supermoto. i love the bike but the dated looks and non-friendly power make me always ride others when its time to ride. its literally got cobwebs on it. will i regret a sale?

Offline 454SS

Re: reasons to NOT sell a kx5
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 11:32:49 AM »
You have to ask yourself, what do you like about the bike.  What do you think your regret would be if you sold it? It sounds like you really would rather ride something else.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 11:53:28 AM »
found myself pondering selling my kx5 supermoto. i love the bike but the dated looks and non-friendly power make me always ride others when its time to ride. its literally got cobwebs on it. will i regret a sale?

Sounds to me like you already have your mind made up. It's time to move on. KX500's are not for everyone. I could never own "just" a KX500 I would be dead and buried out on the straightaway of some motocross track from the wrong bike in the wrong element with WAY too much hp....  LOL
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline slow600

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 12:53:44 PM »
i have other bikes to ride, just a hassle to premix on rides which is a major reason it gets skipped. i feel bad letting it sit. my mind is definantly not made up, just wanting some opinions. all my friends say sell. its just hard to part with a bike i have put a lot of time and money into and it was a pain to get street legal. it really does put a smile on my face when i ride it, the non-friendly power delivery makes me a lil giddy every time.

Offline 454SS

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 01:38:40 PM »
I think the giddy feeling is good enuf to keep it but premixing is really a major reason to part with it?  I can understand the archaic look reason more. 
For me a 125 2stroke is less friendly(pipey)...the 500 throttle is dial-in what you want...a friendly, goofy bike(in a good way).     

Offline Extreem

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 01:58:33 PM »
They no longer make them and parts are getting pricey.  Try finding a mint one 5 to 10 years from now and see what you'll have to pay.  I'de rather store mine than let it go for a few thousand when a new bike averages eight grand.

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 02:09:24 PM »
Service honda still has a deal going with kawasaki. Somehow they are getting brand new KX500 engines from Kawa to put in thier bikes. So I would say as far as engine components go, they will still be fairly available for a long time to come. But the rest of the parts for these bikes are getting tougher and tougher to get. If you have one don't let it go, you will regret it I betcha! :wink:

Offline slow600

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 02:30:51 PM »
thanks for the replies. im not too concerned about the engine, i watched stewart do a complete rebuild before his flaky days. there is seriously nothing wrong with it, just needed some positive feedback :-D

Offline sniper1

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 04:40:36 AM »
           It looks like you can order just about anything from the maker and this guy ordered a brand new 2010 CR500 I didn't know you could do that.

Read the comments below the video it appears this was ordered from honda

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGa1qb9gxDY
Just an old guy that enjoys going fast, I was in the army for 6 years and bought my first K5 when I returned from basic training. I raced a yz60 from age 6 to 8  a kx80 from 8 to 12  a kx125 from 12-17 intermediate class on k5 which I've owned 3.

Offline 454SS

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 05:21:45 AM »
The guy is wrong, you cannot buy a new cr500 from honda...they won't build it for you either.  The motors are built and other parts but as whole, it doesn't exist.

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 06:39:57 AM »
I can fully agree with the dated handling, its just a little funky. You'll totally mis the power though. Sounds like you need to part it save the good bits & do an af or sf conversion. I like having something under my throtle hand though, littler bikes just dont cut it, I mostly hill climb & trail ride though so...
if I only had a pair, I could actually ride this thing

& to the people I like  FYYFF

Offline slow600

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 08:10:38 AM »
I thought about doing an af conversion, but would have to go through the same hassle again to get a street title

Offline snoopjonnyjon

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 08:15:05 AM »
I still find in some high speed situations that no bike I have ridden handles as well as my KX500.

Do you have "The most interesting man in the world" commercials in USA?

"I don't always ride high speed trails... but when I do, I prefer a KX500."

I'm also a huge fan of the dated styling, and scoop rear fender. It has a classic look, and anyone that has even a sniff of a clue about bikes can spot a KX500 with it's goofy bend expansion chamber and scoop fender from 100 yards.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 08:46:44 AM »
I still find in some high speed situations that no bike I have ridden handles as well as my KX500.

I'm also a huge fan of the dated styling, and scoop rear fender. It has a classic look, and anyone that has even a sniff of a clue about bikes can spot a KX500 with it's goofy bend expansion chamber and scoop fender from 100 yards.

For me, once I got the chassis dialed in to handle "user friendly" at 60+ mph on logging roads, I agree with you, there is no better fierce kick in the pants feel of whacking the throttle at 50 mph, and the engine is just starting to get into the meat of the powercurve. I've on more than one ocassion powerslid under hard throttle at 50 mph around long sweeping corners and it's just an amazing feeling....  when ever I mention I own a KX500, people look at this wirery 155 lb bald guy and just look dumfounded than I have little fear of such a brute of a bike. I just say, the key to total happiness with a 500 2 stroke is maturely knowing exactly when to wack the throttle and when to NOT whack the throttle...  :-o
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 08:51:26 AM by Polar-Bus »
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline 454SS

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 11:16:02 AM »

Stay thirsty my friends...yup we have that commercial.

No other bike dominated like the kx in high speed desert situations.  Honda got up there because kawi left. :-D