Author Topic: Calipers  (Read 2711 times)

Offline delphipro5

Calipers
« on: June 01, 2011, 03:11:16 PM »
I noticed that both caliper bodies ff/rr are now discontinued. For my 2000 KX 500. What are my options? Any aftermarket ones? Get used ones and totally rebuild them to like new (or better) condition. My Calipers are fine. Aside from some brake dust caked on them. But I would like to have some backups. I was hoping to avoid a brake job this year and still think I will just brush the dust off them, and replace the pads and call it good for this season. What I would like to do in the meantime, is get both a front and rear caliper body used. And have them completley rebuilt inside and out to better than new condition. I really would like them polished too. or P.coated black. Then I will just mount them on the bike and get SS lines for them, And bleed the systems. And then have brand new brakes. What about master cylinders? If they are not leaking, no need to rebuild them right? Is there any way aside from tearing them apart completley to tell if they need a rebuild? Like I said my brakes worked fine last season, All I think they really need is a brush off and new pads. But I wanted to spit shine them a bit, Any suggestions on how to clean the brake dust off the caliper bodies, And not recking the seals when you push the piston back in for the new pads? or is the only way to do it right a complete rebuild?

Aside from all that, I would like to find both a fr and rr caliper completley rebuilt and polished or P. coated black. Anyone want to take it on and give me a rough price for the job let me know.  PM me.

Offline delphipro5

Re: Calipers
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 03:13:43 PM »
Also how many years should you be able to get out of a properly maintained brake setup? What about disks, how long do they last? Should I pick up some new spare disks as well? or is that overkill? What about after market or other options?

Offline sniper1

« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 03:54:32 PM by sniper1 »
Just an old guy that enjoys going fast, I was in the army for 6 years and bought my first K5 when I returned from basic training. I raced a yz60 from age 6 to 8  a kx80 from 8 to 12  a kx125 from 12-17 intermediate class on k5 which I've owned 3.

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 03:56:54 PM »
HMMM... I'm sure there are other pricey options I could go for. There must options out there if willing to modify things to fit, like the oversize Smoto brakes and stuff... guess I need to do brake reserch now.... uggggggghhhhhhh... I should have not kidded myself about needing to look into the brakes on this build!! But I am just going to clean up the ones I have and use them this year. In the meantime I will be looking into other options. Since these oem bodies seem like a rare thing now, I think I still would be interested in getting a spare set of oem's and have them polished. at least the front one. back one p.coat black. That would look sharp with braided stainless lines!

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 04:00:27 PM »
Found a used 99 rear on ebay for 50 bucks! looks good enough to use as is! but I will have it cleaned up like crazy when i'm thru with it! :lol:

Offline sniper1

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 04:06:13 PM »
I almost linked the used calipers on ebay but figured you would just buy the rebuild kits that I linked rather than take a chance on a caliper that might be shot but if you want if for a spare you can just get the rebuild kit and fix them up.

The last links are for new ones they have them in case you want to go that route.

http://store03.prostores.com/servlet/peakmoto/the-6570/Kawasaki-KX500-1994-dsh-2004-Front/Detail

I have faith in your ability to get that used caliper in tip top condition :) worst case you just rebuild it the kits are cheap.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 04:13:14 PM by sniper1 »
Just an old guy that enjoys going fast, I was in the army for 6 years and bought my first K5 when I returned from basic training. I raced a yz60 from age 6 to 8  a kx80 from 8 to 12  a kx125 from 12-17 intermediate class on k5 which I've owned 3.

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 04:27:05 PM »
Yup, I just got both a front and a rear on ebay for 50 bucks each! mine are fine, just gonna use them for now. and get the spares gussied up big time. :roll: :lol:

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 09:12:42 PM »
Brake pad "longevity" is more dependant of the service of the bike. Guys that "motocross" are pretty abusive on brakes and probably go through a set of pads yearly. Adversely the sand dune guys will probably never change a set of pads as they rarely ever touch the brakes. The one maintenence issue that riders rarely adhere to is an annual brake fluid flush. Brake fluid is a moisture sponge, and can cause  spongy feeling brakes from pockets of "vapor" within the hydraulics. KX brakes are notorious for being spongy even in top tune, so add some mositure within the fluid and you've got mushy brakes struggling to slow the beastly 500 down to sane speeds... lol
You never know how $hitty KX brakes are until you ride a Honda CR/CRF.  Many fast guys like to run the Honda spec Nissin pads in the KX calipers.

PS I have a "mity vac" pump which makes a fluid flush about a 20 min job !  8-)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 08:12:25 AM by Polar-Bus »
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline sniper1

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 04:35:48 AM »
       Good info bus and in the drag racing world it never ceased to amaze me at the money people would spend to make their car or diesel truck go faster but they wouldn't put a dime towards stopping them lol.

My twin turbo 7.3 put down 673 hp and 1400 ftlbs of torque and weighed in at 8800lbs so I went with the ssbc 8 piston calipers and slotted rotors but most of the high hp guys just will not spend the money on stopping.

Nice find on the calipers delphi and if ever in a pinch they are available brand new oem.

Offline sniper1

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 02:12:28 PM »
Another place to find used K5 parts.

http://oem-cycle.com/kawasakikx500.aspx