Author Topic: KX 500  (Read 6036 times)

Offline Bandit

KX 500
« on: May 31, 2011, 07:58:55 AM »
I bought my 1995 KX 500 new in 95 as a replacement to my 91 and 93 KX 500's.  I knew this bike was a keeper and really took care of it throughout it's life.  I have had other dirt bikes come and go, but the 500 was my baby.  I got hurt 5 years ago and it's taken until this year to get back to where I can ride, and obviously my riding style and aggressiveness have changed dramatically.  I bought my first brand new dirt bike (a 2010 Husqvarna TXC 510) since the KX as a treat to myself and absolutely love it.  Well, I decided to take my KX 500 out with me this weekend (first ride on it in 5 years) for one last ride before selling it and guess what happens?  d**n, I love this bike.  It's not better than the Husky, which quite frankly really suits me right now.  But it isn't as far off as I thought it would be either.  The motor on the 500 is absolutely to die for.  I rode a KTM 530 xcw and my Husky back to back with the 500 over a 40 mile ride twice and as far as I am concerned the KX motor is still way better (and a lot more powerful) than either of the 4 strokes.  The suspension needs a little work and I really like the ergos of the new age bikes, so I would have to change the bars (I still have the stock bars on the KX) but I am positive that with just a few minor tweeks I could have the 500 really close to the new bikes in the chassis department.  Here's my dilema, my wife, who never asks for anything and doesn't say a word about my bike obsession (and has actually bought me 2 bikes as presents) asked me to sell the 500 when I bought the Husky and I said I would.  Part of me thinks I should just sell the 500 and move on, the other part of me says how often do you find a bike you truly love?  Other than the zipty gas tank and FMF low boy pipe my 500 is stock, in awesome condition and dead reliable.  I think I have had the same spark plug in it for about 13 years.  After 5 years of sitting the beast started on the 3rd kick.  How do you get rid of that?

Offline Purpletj

Re: KX 500
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 12:44:27 PM »
Did you say wife or ex-wife?   :-D
Its sounds like you have a good wife. I wish mine would buy me atleast one. Just talk to her., She may understand.
"When you sit with a nice girl for two hours, it seems like two minutes. When you sit on a hot stove for two minutes, it seems like two hours. That's relativity." -- Albert Einstein

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 01:08:37 PM »
  Hey Bandit,
 Your Preachin' to the Choir about wanting to keep the KX.   That's why so many guys build AF's or newer Steelie's on 250 or 125 chassis.    Of course if you sold the '93 KX you could always scoop up a service Honda KX500 AF...
 http://www.servicehonda.com/kx500af.html   8-)
    You may have to sell two bikes to cover most of the cost...
     Unless you found a used one ... :-D
   Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Motorrad

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 01:19:14 PM »
Wifes come and go.... Bikes last a life time...    :wink:

Keep the bike... You will regret selling it...

And UNFORTUNATLY... K5's arnt worth much.. unless alot is done to them...

So you will regret it even more, when you realize you pisssed away the $1300 you got for the bike on cheeseburgers, movies, socks, and other crap...

My K5 will hang with the new stuff no problem now (lots of suspension work).... Was actually passing alot of guys in the rough last trip  :evil: :evil:.   
And I love the OLD ergos better than the new bikes... reason I have mine..

Offline 1989kawasaki

• my 89 cr250
    • youtube
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 01:28:32 PM »
motorrad's right about the wifes coming and going and bikes lasting a lifetime... and all the other stuff too  :cry: :cry: :cry:
bikes

1977 RD400
1989 CR250
1988 CR500
1978 Z50
2009 Harley super glide custom

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 03:12:37 PM »
i hope that motorad is kidding with the wife comment. i know my wife is irreplacable and is absolutely the best. i think most of us are in the same situation with our wives, they have different likes than we have, that's just the way it is. take the initiative to find some side work or work overtime to make the extra money and keep the bike. maybe she will see that it means alot to you.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 09:42:08 PM »
I have a passion for motorcycles (I own 6 of them currently) since I was 11 . I have a good wife in the respect of my motorcycle passion. I outlined this passion crystal clear to my wife BEFORE I asked fo marriage. So me and my wife have a clear understanding for ever after...
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline Bandit

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 02:33:53 AM »
My wife totally gets it when it comes to me and bikes.  I have 9 in the garage right now, not including her bike and that of my 4 kids.  I think it is more of an issue that is was this bike that I was riding when I got hurt.  The bike had nothing to do with it, as it wasn't an issue of speed or power that got me hurt.  But it was 4 months of not being able to walk while she was pregnant; not walking right for the next year; having to go back in for surgery later that year; rehabbing again for the next 6 months; and 3 years later finally arriving at some form of normalcy.  Now that we are riding dirt bikes (never stopped riding street bikes) again she is just looking for the 500 to be gone. 

The flip side, I really needed the 500 to be a pig compared to the new models so it would be easier to get rid of and frankly, it wasn't.  For my wife it isn't about money, unfortunately, it isn't about money for me either.  I just need to work on her some more.

Offline snoopjonnyjon

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 04:51:10 AM »
"I'm sorry honey, I'm trying to sell the bike."

For Sale - 1995 KX500. It's never needed any maintenance, EVER! Needs suspension work. Have upgraded to a newer bike, and the ergos on this are terrible. $7000 Firm. No lowballers. No test pilots. Don't waste my time. 

You get the idea  :wink:

Offline Bandit

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 08:13:18 AM »
Snoopjonnyjon - that was exactly what I needed!  lmao!!!

Well, my wife, who I said totally gets it, sent me an email this morning saying she thinks I should keep the KX.  She then proceeded to give me her top 10 reasons why I should keep it, almost suggesting that I was the one that wanted to get rid of it.  lol's   Anyhow, she said she knew I was going to want to keep it the minute she saw me loading it up on Friday to take it out with us.  She then said everytime I came back from a ride I was smiling and talking about what an awesome bike it still is.  Her #1 justification for keeping it?  Our 5 year old told her she really likes the green one.

Her closing statement - can Pro Circuit freshen the motor up for you so you don't have to worry about it?  RG3 did such a great job on the suspension for your street bike, weren't they mainly a dirt bike suspension company?  You should get the suspension rebuilt too.

I'm sitting here, scratching my head, trying to figure out how I got this one so right.  Looks like I may be looking at a rebuild over the summer.

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 08:45:18 AM »
holy cow! spend the money and run!!!! do it while you have full on permission and backing.

Offline Bandit

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 08:53:02 AM »
I know!  I don't get it and don't even want to try and understand it.  I need to wrap my head around how I want to go about freshening it up and what all I want to do with it.  To be honest, it really only needs the suspension rebuilt/revalved and sprung and maybe the top end.

Either way, it's almost like it's my birthday right now. 

Offline snoopjonnyjon

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 09:06:35 AM »
At that age, regardless of use, I would split the bottom end to change the crank seals. You'll probably find the electrofusion coating on the cylinder worn/peeled too, so count on a nikasil job.

Offline Openclass

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 11:41:26 AM »
Bandit

She must be one sweet lady, you got real lucky.

If things get tight here it won't be the 9 year old kx 250 for sale it will be the 5 year old hardly rode 450 4S that hits the block.

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 02:31:13 PM »
DONT SELL! REBUILD! And then, Go blow the doors off something! WWWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: