Author Topic: Light kit  (Read 2136 times)

99tjrockcrawler

Light kit
« on: June 15, 2004, 04:59:19 PM »
Did a search but could not find anything.  What are my options for running a light on my 03 500.  Dont want to spend a lot but want to do some night riding and no I don't want to strap on a flashlight.  Will it affect the way the bike rides as in any power loss?

Just edited this..I had 93 up there but it is an 03!

mikesmith

Light kit
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2004, 07:18:59 AM »
Well the E-Line would be best but its like $425.00,but Rick and I think his name was Porky(?) have a thread on making a lighting coil as Rick said the cheaper lighting coils on the market dont fit.Or a battery powered light like the Mtn.bikers use.

Sharc

Light kit
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2004, 08:07:22 AM »
I have an E-Line - It's like a headlight on a train plus you get a 10oz heavier flywheel....Pricey though....$399 + a headlight. I got a 100watt halogen thats unreal on a moonless night. Like riding in a big tunnel of white light...Bring a flashlight though, cuz if the engine dies so does the light...There's stories of Baja racers crashing at night and losing thier bikes...
Bicycle lights and batteries have come a long way, a friend uses one and it's pretty bright, plus you can use it on your bicycle...
But the Eline has 210 watts - mucho power - I'm adding a lit whip and electric horn just to freak people out. Ever been flying down a trail, heard a "beep-beep", and been passed by screamin' K5...? Well if you're riding in So Cal and especially if you're on a four-stroke I got my sights on YOU...!
Sharc

Rick

Light kit
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2004, 10:07:53 AM »
I could not get the low cost lighting coil to fit under my flywheel, so just built my own lighting coil using the center from an old stator adn 20 guage magnet wire.  Works OK, but nothing as bright as the high dollar units.  Essentially, I have enough light to make it back to the van in the dark (which is exactly what I wanted), but would never consider using it at any serious speed.  Also, when I built my lighting coil, I did not use a case ground as I plan to add a rectifier and battery at some point in the future.  I will then have light even when the engine is off.

Good luck

Rick