Author Topic: fork and shock spring rates...  (Read 2293 times)

Offline ben

fork and shock spring rates...
« on: June 15, 2004, 11:49:17 PM »
I have a 2001 KX500 with stock fork and shock springs.  Looking online, I see that the stock spring rates are .40 for the front and .55 for the rear.  I'd like to set up the suspension better for my riding ability and weight.  I ride strictly motocross and race in the Sr. B and +25B classes.  I weigh about 205 pounds without riding gear.

The only recomendations I see online is for riders 175 pounds and over to go to a .41 front spring and a 5.7 rear.   Being that I am 30 pounds over the 175 mark, should I go with springs stiffer than these?

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks!

--Ben

mikesmith

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2004, 07:12:51 AM »
Did you get it from the Race Tech site?If not try there and dont forget to weigh with all riding gear,and it does include type and abillity on its chart.

Hogwylde

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 03:16:31 PM »
I'm 6'1 and around 195.  Probably weigh out in the 215/225 neighborhood with all my gear.  My suspension is set up for woods riding, but I'm running .46 in the front and 5.7 rear.

Drop Jeremy Wilkey at MX-Tech a line (www.mx-tech.com) and tell him what kind of riding you do and he will recommend the proper spring rates for you.

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2004, 03:41:35 PM »
You're my size. I'm running .46 in the forks and a 5.4 on the shock. I run 7wt when I go to the MX track and 5wt for my desert races and medium fade free in the shock.

Rick

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004, 10:12:40 AM »
I agree with Paul on the rear at 5.4, but differ in the front at .43.  However, I really need to increase my springs in the front to something heavier, and would probably opt for Paul's .46.  In any event, don't go heavier in the rear, you will hate the extra rebound unless you are riding way too far over the rear fender.

Rick