Author Topic: Exhaust port sealing  (Read 8338 times)

Offline bigtwin100

Exhaust port sealing
« on: May 16, 2011, 03:12:49 AM »
Here's an old timer tip for sealing up that pesky exhaust port if your new orings don't do the trick. Wrap Teflon tape around the header pipe over the orings. Couple wraps should do it. You guy's probably know this but I've been doing this for years and it works excellent.

Offline Polar-Bus

Re: Exhaust port sealing
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 04:08:19 AM »
Here's an old timer tip for sealing up that pesky exhaust port if your new orings don't do the trick. Wrap Teflon tape around the header pipe over the orings. Couple wraps should do it. You guy's probably know this but I've been doing this for years and it works excellent.

If your jetted spot on, and run 40:1 premix you should'nt have any leaking to begin with  :wink:
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline bigtwin100

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 04:22:45 AM »

If your jetted spot on, and run 40:1 premix you should'nt have any leaking to begin with  :wink:
Well maybe that's why it works for me :wink:

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 04:28:27 AM »

Well maybe that's why it works for me :wink:

all ball breaking aside, if you are experiencing excessive "spooge" blowing past the o rings you can probably lean your jetting a bit more and try a little less premix ratio. I do have a small amount of leakage, but nowhere near when i tried running stock jetting and 32:1 ...
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1

Offline bigtwin100

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 04:31:12 AM »
Thanks for the tip. I don't have alot of spooge but sometimes that port is worn and new orings don't seal and I hate globbing RTV on anything. I run 44:1 and probably going to go to 50:1

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 05:16:08 AM »
Thanks for the tip. I don't have alot of spooge but sometimes that port is worn and new orings don't seal and I hate globbing RTV on anything. I run 44:1 and probably going to go to 50:1

Are you running stock jetting ?  If you don't have the space to allow the engine to rev WO for longer periods, excessive spooge will also ba an issue. Try leaning your needle clip one position and see if that helps...  44:1 premix is right where you want to be, so im thinking jetting. Do you know for sure you have a healthy top end also  ?
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1

Offline bigtwin100

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 07:47:52 AM »
It's just a tip. My jetting is fine. Just passing on a little trick

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 12:27:54 PM »
Try rescue tape.(the stuff for fixing holes in radiator hose ) It will seal much better than teflon tape, and hold up to fuel exaust fumes and high temperature much better. You will only need one layer or so. Teflon tape is not meant for fuel/oil high temp. applications. this stuff IS. Personally though I use red RTV.
I have heard of putting an x-tra crush ring in to move the seating surface of the o-rings out slightly, so they are no longer in the grooves. But this may adversley effect perfomance by moving the pipe out from the head ever so slightly. Not sure, but if you could get them to seat in a different location that would get them to seal better. I would also condition ALL of my o-rings with dielectric grease(silicone jelly, R/C Car diff lube) prior to using them.
With a grooved exaust port even brand new o-rings will not seat properly without some sort of assistance. The only real way to solve the problem is have the walls of the port filled up with material (weld) and machined back to spec. ($$$)  :wink:

Offline Larry Wiechman

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 02:38:41 PM »

If you've got spooge blowing out, you've also got air, water, dirt, etc... being sucked back into the engine.

Offline sylvester

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 02:55:40 PM »
Used to use this stuff back in the day on my 1985-86 and 88 CR125's. Works great.
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=&store=Main&catId=&productId=p14700&leafCatId=&mmyId=
We would use it on both ends of the pipe, the exhaust flange and the silencer connection.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 02:59:59 PM by sylvester »

Offline Purpletj

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 03:08:29 PM »
Another tip. If your not getting a good sealing surface. There may be other issues.
Here's one.

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,7262.0.html
"When you sit with a nice girl for two hours, it seems like two minutes. When you sit on a hot stove for two minutes, it seems like two hours. That's relativity." -- Albert Einstein

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 03:45:57 PM »
Used to use this stuff back in the day on my 1985-86 and 88 CR125's. Works great.
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=&store=Main&catId=&productId=p14700&leafCatId=&mmyId=
We would use it on both ends of the pipe, the exhaust flange and the silencer connection.
I used that stuff also. I didnt know it was still available!
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.

Offline 1989kawasaki

• my 89 cr250
    • youtube
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 03:57:54 PM »
I used that stuff also. I didnt know it was still available!

its not available. heres what it says

Order Info
Innovation Racing Exhaust Sealant Tape

Dennis Kirk Part #: 14700
This Product is No Longer Available 
bikes

1977 RD400
1989 CR250
1988 CR500
1978 Z50
2009 Harley super glide custom

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 11:37:56 PM »
I always had spooge out the silencer,but a lot of the decent oils you discuss,i never see em this side of the pond so ran castrol super tt at 32:1.everyday's a schoolday.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline sylvester

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 02:21:58 AM »
Sorry, didnt say it was still available, just stated that it was what we used anyone with this issue and wants to use a fix of this nature, could Google "Chamber Seal" and come up with compareable products. Just throwing out ideas.